Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using external hard drive reader

I have the (working) hard drive from my old Mac (2007 13" black case) but the computer itself has no power. I'd like to use an external hard drive reader to recover the data to my new MacBook Pro (2011 15" aluminum case.) What type of reader should I get? Anything else I need?

Alternately, could I take the old hard drive out of the old machine and swap it into the new one, thereby allowing me to back up to an external hard drive (which I have on hand?) Or are these not compatible in this way?

I'm kind of a n00b, but I"m learning! Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

MacBook, 13" black case 2007

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 10:48 AM

7 replies

Aug 11, 2012 3:53 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks. Yes, I've just read them now. I've not dome this before and want to be sure I buy the right enclosure for my 2007 MacBook pro.

The actual problem with my dead mbpro is the logic board. Genius thinks the hd is fine. In the event that it is indeed fried, than I'll just not be able to read anything when I hook it up to the new computer, yes?

Using external hard drive reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.