Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install Snow Leopard without Leopard

I have a MacBook, which was running Leopard.

It got corrupted, and even I want to upgrade to Snow Leopard. So I purchased Snow Leopard Retail Box.

Now, I want to install Snow Leopard, but I cannot start Leopard. How can I perform clean install of Snow Leopard, without needing Leopard.

Videos Links are welcomed too.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 9, 2011 10:40 PM

1 reply

Jun 9, 2011 10:48 PM in response to mhtjj

Do you have the $29 Snow Leopard DVD or the $169 Boxed Set? If the former then do this:

Clean Install of Snow Leopard

1. Boot the computer using the Snow Leopard Installer Disc. Insert the disc into the optical drive and restart the computer. After the chime press and hold down the "C" key. Release the key when you see a small spinning gear appear below the dark gray Apple logo.
  2. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select the hard drive entry from the left side list (mfgr.'s ID and drive size.) Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. Set the number of partitions to one (1) from the Partitions drop down menu, set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled, if supported), then click on the Partition button.
  3. When the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed with the OS X installation and follow the directions included with the installer.
  4. When the installation has completed your computer will require a restart after which you will be running a fresh install of OS X. You can now begin the update process by opening Software Update and installing all recommended updates to bring your installation current.

Install Snow Leopard without Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.