Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot change password of user error -14120

Hello all,

I am trying to change the password of a normal user on my Mac OS 10.6.7 server, but everytime I click on save, I get the message that the password could not be saved, error -14120.

I did use enough characters, numbers and special ones in it, but it doesn´t work.

What I might add is that I am accessing the server via VNC, but this should not have any impact. Does anyone have an idea?

Greets,

Khymon

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mac OS X Server mail

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 12:53 AM

3 replies

Jun 10, 2011 11:28 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hi,

no, this is correct, DNS names do match. But I found the reason, although unfortunately, I could not see a solution at first, but then I searched the web ; unfortunately, this does not completely answer the background:

When I click on the lock symbol to unlock the settings in the Workgroup settings, I enter an account that has the rights to configure the server. And I can change all settings of the user except for the password. When I look into the server logs for passwords, I get the following error:

CHANGEPASS failed because { <id>, <username>} is not an administrator

I found the following list entry:

http://lists.apple.com/archives/macos-x-server/2005/Jan/msg00348.html

where this problem can be solved by the following command:

mkpassdb -setadmin <username>

I tried and now I can change the password. But I am not quite certain about the background of this command. If anybody can tell me what it does (background), I would be quite happy 🙂

EDIT: I know that there is a manpage for mkpassdb which explains it:

---copy&paste---

"-setadmin" Promotes a slot-ID to have administrator privileges for the password server. By default, administrators set with mkpassdb receive the most privileged rank (0)

---copy&paste---

Okay, but... Why did my account had the rights to create new users, to do anything else except for changing passwords? Is this some kind of bug?

Greets!

Jun 11, 2011 6:57 AM in response to Khymon1

You may be aware of this. If so, please disregard.

There is a local store of users, and there is the domain-based store.

The local store can have local administrators, and there's a second set of users on the domain, and its own administrators and particularly (by default) the diradmin user.

Overlaps between these two can be confusing. If you're on a diradmin or other directory administrator account, then there's something wonky with your directory. If you're on a user that's not a directory administrator, then I'd not expect to administer the directory.

If the directory administrator password is stuffed up, here is the password-reset sequence: HT1194

Cannot change password of user error -14120

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.