Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I enable numbers to automatically display a letter in a cell depending on a number range in another cell?

I am a teacher and as part of my paper work it would be useful if I could use numbers to display a letter (grade A, B, C etc) depending on a number range in another cell.

For example:

NameMarkGrade
John Smith56C
Jane Johnson64B
Michael Watson78A

lets say for instance a Grade C was anything between a 50 and 60. Is it possible to set up a table that will automatically enter the grade depending on the numerical value in the Marks column?

Many thanks.

Ryan Butler.

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 12:59 AM

4 replies

Jun 10, 2011 4:27 AM in response to Ryan L Butler

Question asked and answered several times !

User uploaded file

In C2, the formula is :

=IF(ISBLANK(B),"",VLOOKUP(B,look_up :: A:B,2))

Read iWork Formulas and Functions User Guide to learn the behavior of the used functions.

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) vendredi 10 juin 2011 13:27:02

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.7

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

Jun 11, 2011 3:33 AM in response to Ryan L Butler

I apologize but my scholar English don't allow me to be more clear than iWork Formulas and Functions User Guide.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

What aren't you understanding ?

Yvan KOENIG (VALLAURIS, France) samedi 11 juin 2011 12:32:55

iMac 21”5, i7, 2.8 GHz, 4 Gbytes, 1 Tbytes, mac OS X 10.6.7

Please : Search for questions similar to your own before submitting them to the community

To be the AW6 successor, iWork MUST integrate a TRUE DB, not a list organizer !

Can I enable numbers to automatically display a letter in a cell depending on a number range in another cell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.