Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copy paste in text fields, extra space added

Hi fans,

I have been putting up with this cool feature, where mac puts in a space before the clipboard is pasted into say, a text field.

It seems to occur especially when a comma exists.

for example. I copy a word 'copyme'

Then I paste it into a tect field in safari and I get ' copyme' - note the extra space at the beginning.

How do I get OS X to paste exactly what I copied?

Many thanks.

MacBook Air 13", Mac OS X (10.6.6), 1.86GHz 4GB

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 3:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 11:42 AM

I was looking to solve this same problem in TextEdit and found a solution. It turns out that Safari, and some other apps, have the same option which pastes the extra space in front if there is text already there. You can turn off this behavior by going to the "Edit" menu choosing "Substitutions" and uncheck the "Smart copy/paste" option.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2011 11:42 AM in response to Matt Hardy

I was looking to solve this same problem in TextEdit and found a solution. It turns out that Safari, and some other apps, have the same option which pastes the extra space in front if there is text already there. You can turn off this behavior by going to the "Edit" menu choosing "Substitutions" and uncheck the "Smart copy/paste" option.

Jun 10, 2011 12:24 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Thanks for the suggestion, I unchecked this, rather than delete all my useful auto fills.

But I think the issue is in fact unrelated.

You see, if I copy + paste from another text field, mac pastes into the new text field without adding a space.

If I copy paste from another location, like a word from web page, there are spaces auto-added around the clipboard text when it is pasted into the text field.

Even if I 'Paste and Match Style' it adds these confounded spaces... but only in a text field - a <input type="text" value=""> etc.

Copy and paste is quite handy, copy and paste was designed to save time by reducing manual entry in general.

If it's a 'feature', I'd like to request a preference, 'add formating on paste' which would mean I control what goes in the text field, not mac. I'd rather add the spaces if they are needed pretty please if you know what I mean 🙂

Copy paste in text fields, extra space added

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.