Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 and Audi MMI Bluetooth not showing directory.

I have an IPhone 4 and use it with Bluetooth MMI audi car kit. It used to work perfectly but now it doesn't synchronize my contacts, missed calls etc. It still pairs and I an use it but I can not access the directory! Can anybody help?

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 3:49 AM

20 replies

Jul 14, 2011 10:35 AM in response to GAndrade

Exactly the same problem here in Italy with Audi A4 and Iphone 3gs.

I connected another Iphone (same SW version) and it works perfectly, so Audi said it's an Apple problem.

I met a genius today at the apple store who did not understand the problem.

I have a two year warranty contract (not the apple care), so I can have a new 3gs for free, but it will take one month. I need the phone for my job, so I am very doubtful.

Maybe the next update will fix the problem?

Aug 15, 2011 1:28 PM in response to GAndrade

I have an Audi A5 & my iPhone 4 used to work fine.

A few weeks ago it stopped syncing with my contacts, which is very annoying as I don't know who is calling or who to call without handling the phone, kind of defeats the object of blue tooth.

I haven't discussed it with my local dealer yet, but reading on here I seams to be a common problem that has come from nowhere!

My iPhone version is 4.3.5 (8L1)

Aug 16, 2011 7:55 AM in response to GAndrade

Hey guys,

I got mine resolved. I rang the dealership and asked if I could come in a pair my phone with another vehicle. I did and it paired perfectly.

They booked my car in and reset the MMI but not through the dashboard console they did some sort of complete software restart. In the process they wiped all my data but that was easily re-installed. SInce then it's worked fine so don't let them use the excuse that it's the software on the phone that is causing the problem.

It took me 6-8 weeks to get to the bottom of but there was a sucessful solution.

All the best

Rob

Dec 12, 2011 2:04 AM in response to al666

Morning,

I would go to your local Audi dealer and ask to connect your phone with a car in the showroom, that is was I did. Once they saw it wasn't then phone at fault they booked my vehicle in and resolved it.

They blame phones quite frequently stating advancements in technology however the bluetooth element rarely changes so their argument is a little unfounded in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Apr 24, 2012 1:58 PM in response to GAndrade

I have an 2010 Audi a6 Avant with Bluetooth Phone prep and MMI . I Phone 4 with IOS 5.1

I have had problems with the bluetooth connection. The MMI screen shows the phone is connected , but it has no signal. The phone will not sync with the car . This seems to happen when I first start the car but it is random and in frequent ( several tiems per month).

If I go into the MMI menu and try to disconnect through the audi bluetooth settings the MMI screen says bluetooth switched off but the screen still shows the phone symbol is connected.

The audi mmi system becomes un responsive and cannot disconnect ( when in the bluetooth setting area). Normally within the space of around 30 mins to an hour later the MMI system shuts itself down and re-boots . The Bluetooth then 95% of the time resolves itself and functions perfectly, until the next random time the MMI has locked up.

if you switch off the engine and then re-start within a short space of time the mmi does not recover.

If you leave the engine off for a few hours and then switch back on the MMI system the system almost always recovers.

The fault appears to be with the MMI system as it is becoming un responsive and re-boots itself after a period of Time . In addittion the MMI system does not seem to have the correct ability to drop its bluetooth connection when switching it off.

I have contacted Audi and they say its the phones fault and that its IOS 5.1 at blame.

I would like to understand if Apple are able to respond.to audi's accusations???

Unfortunately as the customer of both and Audi and an Apple , I am caught between 2 giants in Industry with neither party admitting ownership of the issue and letting the customer suffer the misfortune of one or both parties errors and in ability to own up to their issues!

would love to hear from other users in the same predicament.

Cheers

Apr 26, 2012 2:30 AM in response to GAndrade

Just managed to fix this after a LONG time of trying.

It was the sim card. But I did not have to get a new one. I took a sim card from a friends Iphone , plugged it into my phone and synced with the card. That worked fine. When I swapped back the sim cards it all started working again...

Simple answer. get a new sim card or swap out your currnet one for a bit.

Nov 29, 2013 9:54 AM in response to GAndrade

Has anyone gotten anywhere with connecting the iphone 4S to their Audi Bluetooth?

My issues are:

1. Command prompt from bluetooth: please say a command, i say a command and it doesn't recognize my voice or what i'm saying

2. When I try to Call from phone book, it says phone book is empty

I can use the bluetooth from the steering wheel by hand, but that also partly defeats the purpose of having bluetooth. The dealer that sold me the car is far from being technical with that sort of thing and cannot seem to get my phone book to work. Like I said, I can get it and know the phone is syncing, through the dials on the wheel, but I'd like to use the "hands free" option and that does not recognize my command or phone book.

Thanks for your help if you have any advice!

p.s. they said that i have the A4 basic and that technology is old compared to new phones. this does not make sense to me. a brand new 2014 car should sync with my phone!!!!

Nov 29, 2013 10:27 AM in response to Eileenonjess

audi usa was of no help. they told me to talk to the dealer and the dealer tells me to try youtube. it makes no sense that the blue tooth technology of being hands free, doesn't work.

their chat person was like sorry I couldn't help you, i said, so I guess my next action is to write a letter then? she's like thanks and have a good day, not let me submit this issue to my supervisor or let me try and find out and get back to you. just have a good day, i can't help you so oh well!!!!

quite an expensive car to just brush me off like that I think!

Nov 29, 2013 10:34 AM in response to Eileenonjess

If the phonebook contact are showing on the list then it is not a sync problems. When you are using the voice commands on the Audi you are probably using thier technology for voice recongination. So you should best look at the setup on the car first. Go into the Audi setting and make sure that you country and accent is set correctly. Then try some bacis commands that do not invole the iphone and see what happens. If it works then you need to investigate the phone more, if not, its the Audi voice software.

you could try to find a way to skip the audi stuff and just get siri to ask you what you want.

iPhone 4 and Audi MMI Bluetooth not showing directory.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.