Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Remove or Hide "Remote Disc" from the sidebar (cd's, DVD's and iPods) by using workgroup manager

Dear Apple Pro's

I'm Working on a school with 400 imac's a lot of students will use this dayly. I would like to disable or hide the "Remote Disc" from the sidebar by using a policy under workgroupmanager or an Unix command that I can use by ARD. I've look for a week now so i'm out of the question! Could somebody help me?

I played a lot with the "preferences ==> details" under the workgroupmanager, but nothint work!

I hope somebody can help me pleaz

Regards,

Roderik

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Server

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 4:02 AM

30 replies

Jun 10, 2011 4:39 AM in response to Ingo F.

He Ingo,

I would like to hide the icon (finder sidebar) "left side" Remote Disc for our students. I think it's indeed the shared devices. What i really want is hide the devices for ever ;-) but onder workgroup manager it's not so easy.

I think "remote disc" is a part of cd's, DVD's and iPods? See pic.

User uploaded file

Iam looking for a week now, but can't find it. My terminal level is not so high ;-( must shame me...

I hope maybe you can help me.

Regards,

Roderik

Jun 10, 2011 5:05 AM in response to roderikdehaar

Rod, I accept that. What I do not understand: I do not see the Remote Disk item on any of my systems. So the question is: Where does it come from? All I can find in docs is that there must be one system somewhere (and I guess it can be any of the 400) which is set up to share a CD or DVD in its drive. But maybe I am wrong here. Should it not be possible to find out where that disc is shared from? I mean, when you click on that disk, there is something "on" it, right?

Jun 10, 2011 5:14 AM in response to Ingo F.

"So the question is: Where does it come from? All I can find in docs is that there must be one system somewhere (and I guess it can be any of the 400) which is set up to share a CD or DVD in its drive. But maybe I am wrong here"

run this command on all 400 Macs via ARD (only joking!) it will eject the dvd drive...

drutil tray eject 0

always wanted to do this on 400 Macs!!

Jun 10, 2011 5:37 AM in response to roderikdehaar

OK, to be honest, I am out of ideas right now, but I only have ARD running in my home network. So I will go home later today and try and see whether I can get this remote disk to pop up on any system I have, and then try to figure something out with ARD. But please, do not expect an answer before Tuesday, since Monday is a holiday here 🙂 In fact, better to not expect an answer at all, because right now I have no clue where this comes from 🙂

How to Remove or Hide "Remote Disc" from the sidebar (cd's, DVD's and iPods) by using workgroup manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.