Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost admin permissions after migrating from imac to mbpro

Hello, I bought yesterday a new mac book pro.

As I wanted my previous settings I used migrating assistant via airport but that was very slow on my 802.11g wifi network.

So I stopped it, created a new account (let's call it "A" for easier communication), and I transferred my imac's old account ("B") to my macbookpro through firewire.

After that, I logged in with "B" account and I deleted the "A" account (when password was needed i typed "A" acc & pass).

Without having noticed it, "B" which I only now have has standard permissions and I don't have now any admin accounts on my mbp.

Is there any quick way to make "B" acc admin (system now recognises no admin accounts on his memory) and not of course any kind of format?

Thank you in advance!

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 5:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 5:45 AM

Start from your install disc (hold down c on startup while disc is inserted), choose your language, click on "Utilities" and open the "Reset Password" Utility.

Select your disc (Mac) and restore the password for the System Administrator (root) to a new password. Restart the Mac and start from the normal hard drive, login as "root" and the password you just set. After that go to

System Preferences > Accounts

and make your account "B" to an admin user by checking "Allow user to administer this computer".

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2011 5:45 AM in response to DDL449

Start from your install disc (hold down c on startup while disc is inserted), choose your language, click on "Utilities" and open the "Reset Password" Utility.

Select your disc (Mac) and restore the password for the System Administrator (root) to a new password. Restart the Mac and start from the normal hard drive, login as "root" and the password you just set. After that go to

System Preferences > Accounts

and make your account "B" to an admin user by checking "Allow user to administer this computer".

Lost admin permissions after migrating from imac to mbpro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.