Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

some files cannot be moved journaled extended

I have tried to partition my disc a couple of times, but i get this:

The disk cannot be partitioned because some fules cannot be moved.

Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac Os Extended (journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using bootcamp assistant again.

So, i went to disk utility, hit partition on my iMacs HDD and clicked volume scheme -> one partition and selected it with Mac OS Extended (journaled)

I booted it up with the SnowLeopard install disc holding C, and i hit restore using a time machine back up.

then i got that done after a few hours and got back to the bootcamp assistant, and it still gives the same error.

HELP

juan

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 6:29 AM

5 replies

Jun 10, 2011 7:44 AM in response to ChoZaSs

You (or I) would have cloned the drive with Disk Utiiitry's RESTORE that makes a bootable backup, as an alternative to TimeMachine which I don't care for; or SuperDuper.

Paragon CampTune $19 also can be used to backup, partition, and resize as well as install Windows in place of Boot Camp Assistant.

Paragon Software Mac - CampTune

Paragon Drive Copy for Mac® OS X - Overview

SuperDuper

Jun 10, 2011 12:06 PM in response to ChoZaSs

Download CCC or SuperDuper, using either of them clone your entire drive to an external, erase your drive (but check the clone first, boot from it and see that all works), then restore your clone by running CCC or SuperDuper again (this time from the clone) and restore to the now empty drive.

Read the BootCamp instructions carefully and don't do anything until you have a full backup on hand (but you knew that already, didn't you)

some files cannot be moved journaled extended

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.