Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme used as access point. External disk does not show up in Finder

The title pretty much sums it up. I'm using my Airport as just an access point. I connected an external disk to it. The disk shows up in the Airport Utility, however I cannot connect to it because my Airport has never shown up in Finder. I went to preferences and checked Connected Servers, still no go. Any advice?

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 6:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 7:35 AM

A few things to check:

The drive must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or FAT32

Since the USB port on the AirPort Extreme is under powered, you almost always have to use a powered USB hub when connecting a hard drive, even if the hard drive has its own power supply

When locating the disk on your Mac, open Macintosh HD or the Finder and look for the AirPort Extreme icon under the SHARED heading on the left side of the window.

Click on the AirPort Extreme icon and a folder will appear to the right representing your drive

Double click the folder to mount the drive on the desktop

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2011 7:35 AM in response to jpgrande3

A few things to check:

The drive must be formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled), or FAT32

Since the USB port on the AirPort Extreme is under powered, you almost always have to use a powered USB hub when connecting a hard drive, even if the hard drive has its own power supply

When locating the disk on your Mac, open Macintosh HD or the Finder and look for the AirPort Extreme icon under the SHARED heading on the left side of the window.

Click on the AirPort Extreme icon and a folder will appear to the right representing your drive

Double click the folder to mount the drive on the desktop

Apr 12, 2013 7:52 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I am sorry to tell this is not solving my problem.

I indeed have my Airport Extreme under the shared section in the Finder, but my USB2 hard disk does not show up anymore. It did a few days ago.

I can open the Airport Extreme icon under the shared section in the Finder. It shows an empty folder without my disk. It shows also that I am connected with admin login. But strangely I can't disconnect.

So i suspect a network system bug somewhere. Any idea?

Apr 12, 2013 8:49 PM in response to Patrick Merel1

Finally found the answer somewhere else in the network community.

I had to switch off Appletalk in sysPrefs / file sharing / options. I did switch off also SMB.

Closed everything. Re-opened sysPrefs / file sharing / options switch on Appletalk and SMB.

On the Airport Extreme utility, I selected disk sharing security option: disk pwd (not the account option).

Sorry for the translation i'm on a french OS.

Everything was back to normal after airport extreme base reboot, access to shared disk, connection and disconnection backto normal too.

Hope this can help.

Airport Extreme used as access point. External disk does not show up in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.