Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem setting up a networked printer

I have a Samsung ML1640 laserprinter which works fine when connected to my MacBook Pro via USB. However when I attempt to set it up as a network printer while it is connected to my Globesurfer X1 router I always get the" Network host '192.168.1.1' is busy; will retry in 10 seconds... " message. I have tried all of the solutions I have been able to find on this and other help sites without success. Anyone willing to try to help?

MacBook Pro MacBook iMac iPod Touch, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 8:19 PM

First - that is a non-postscript, USB-only printer. Even though you can connect it to the router, the Samsung-provided driver in OS X is a USB-ONLY driver. The driver won't work via standard network protocols.

You will need to try the open source driver set here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/samsun g-gdi

Next, in order to use the standard protocols available on a router, you need to read the manual and determine which protocol and if it uses a device-specific queue name. The Windows Install Wizard hides those details from us, so you may need to read through the built-in web pages in the router, or find a PC and read through the printer properties after setting up there. I see in the manual that IP > LPD, IP > IPP, and Windows Printing are supported. IPP and LPD require you to know, and enter in the Add dialog, the queue name.

If you don't find the queue name anywhere, try U1 (u-one), or P1 or LP1 or lpt1, or "print," etc.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2011 8:19 PM in response to Steve Ashcroft

First - that is a non-postscript, USB-only printer. Even though you can connect it to the router, the Samsung-provided driver in OS X is a USB-ONLY driver. The driver won't work via standard network protocols.

You will need to try the open source driver set here:

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/openprinting/macosx/samsun g-gdi

Next, in order to use the standard protocols available on a router, you need to read the manual and determine which protocol and if it uses a device-specific queue name. The Windows Install Wizard hides those details from us, so you may need to read through the built-in web pages in the router, or find a PC and read through the printer properties after setting up there. I see in the manual that IP > LPD, IP > IPP, and Windows Printing are supported. IPP and LPD require you to know, and enter in the Add dialog, the queue name.

If you don't find the queue name anywhere, try U1 (u-one), or P1 or LP1 or lpt1, or "print," etc.

Jun 11, 2011 3:59 AM in response to greg sahli

Greg, Many thanks for a very informative answer. I'll try the procedure you suggest.

There is just one point that I wonder over. That is that the connection from the printer to the Globesurfer router is to a USB connection on the router since this router should function as a printer server. That was why I was surprised that I could not see the printer on the network especially since the Globesurfer clearly recognises the printer as it shows up on the built-in web pages as a Samsung ML-1640 on port 9100. Any comment?

Jun 11, 2011 7:20 AM in response to Steve Ashcroft

Seeing a printer on the network happens if devices use the same protocol(s). Bonjour (mDNS response) is probably not supported by the router.

The info you just gave me about port 9100 is useful for You! That is called IP > HP Jetdirect protocol on OS X. It is useful because it doesn't need a queue name - port 9100 identifies the print queue on the router! So, use IP > HP Jetdirect to add the printer in Print & Fax.

Feb 16, 2013 11:44 PM in response to Steve Ashcroft

Hi, Greg Sahli & Steve Ashcroft.

I am also going through the same problem of setting up Samsung ML-1640 as network printer (on OSX) connected through print server of router D-Link DSL-2750U; printing prefectly through all my Window PC's connected to the network.

Can you pls assist me with the settings for adding the printer through IP like IP Address, Protocol, Queue Name & Driver to be used?

I have posted my concern in the discussions here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4800968

Looking forward to your assistance.

Problem setting up a networked printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.