Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is being done about the constant log-out

This is truly a frustrating situation, to constantly log-in ever time I come back to the discussions.

Come on, this is not rocket science. Matt where are you?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 2.4GHz IntelCore i5 320 HD 8GB RAM

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 10:58 AM

19 replies

Jun 10, 2011 10:28 PM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Since this appears to have started right around the same time the trojan started to make the rounds, I thought it could possibly be a security measure and decided that - in that case - it's a good thing.

How would this short timeout help security?

Anyone can get a free id and do whatever they can get away with.

Robert

Jun 11, 2011 7:56 AM in response to babowa

babowa wrote:

Since this appears to have started right around the same time the trojan started to make the rounds, I thought it could possibly be a security measure and decided that - in that case - it's a good thing.

Thanks for your input. However I am hard pressed to see any rational correlation between the recent trojan and security issues on the https Apple Support Communities. Getting log-out after such a short amount of time is the antithesis of user friendly behavior.

~Bee wrote:

It started with the new boards.

None of us really know what the cause is

We're all just other Mac users, helping each other.

All of us have opinions, but no official statement has been forthcoming, as of yet.

No, it did not start with the new boards. This change took place well after the launch of the ASC.

Ever time I turn around I am having to log back in. In all honesty it takes away the fun of checking in, and as user to user support community, and trying to make a positive contribution.

Where is Matt on this issue.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2519077?answerId=11979295022#11979295022

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3109194?tstart=0

Jun 11, 2011 8:03 AM in response to leroydouglas

I truly do not understand why this upsets people. Yes, it's more convenient not to have to log back in. But I've bookmarked my Your Discussions (from the drop down link "Your Stuff" at the top right of every page). I usually leave my Your Discussions page up when I'm going away. When I come back, I refresh that page, and if I'm logged out, I just click "Sign in," my information is filled in automatically, click "Login" and it takes me right back to my "Your Discussions," and I'm on my way.

It's such a paltry inconvenience in comparison with the serious navigation problems which still exist in longer threads that it leaves me scratching my head about why anyone is sweating this "small stuff"?

Jun 11, 2011 9:53 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

If login works. I tried to login and it wouldn't work, then went totally belly up. See this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3069648?start=30&tstart=0

My experience is on the last page.

And even when it works, my experience is it takes at least twice as long as it used to. I'm with leroydouglas on this one. When I get logged out now I generally feel like Apple just told me to pack it in for the day, and I do.

And yes the other things are really annoying too, and perhaps that's why coming back to check the boards, and finding oneself logged out, leads to the final frustration and a "ta 'ell wid it" reaction.

Francine

Jun 11, 2011 10:12 AM in response to Francine Schwieder

I had that cookie error exactly once (knock wood). I did not delete any cookies. I did not reset Safari or dump the cache. I tried a moment later and was right back in.

We are getting spurious error messages. They don't mean anything — except maybe what a busy signal on the phone means.

As I said, to me, the occasional login errors are small potatoes compared to the problems in getting around to do what I want to do.

Jun 11, 2011 10:15 AM in response to Francine Schwieder

And yes the other things are really annoying too, and perhaps that's why coming back to check the boards, and finding oneself logged out, leads to the final frustration and a "ta 'ell wid it" reaction.

I agree. It's one problem on top of another. And, it wasn't broken before Apple started messing with it.

If I read some of these post right, some people cannot complete the answer to their reply before getting logged out. Since the forums no longer save you text input, you loose your entire post.

For me where the sign in screen goes after the login completes is a randomn event. I start signin in another tab window so that I can trash the tab window once login completes.

It seems to me from my programming experience that changing the value on the lenght of the delay should be an easy thing. It should be a global constant.

There are lots of problems with the software. This isn't making things any easier.

Robert

Jun 11, 2011 1:50 PM in response to deggie

I think it's particularly odd that you can't edit on an iPad. It looks to me like this format is arranged with mobile devices in mind (all this crazy white space, even on my little 13-inch display). I think that you'll be seeing upgraded functionality sooner rather than later.

If I were going to try to post here on an iOS device as things stand now, I think I'd be using a text editor to form my post and copy/paste into a reply box, so I wouldn't lose it.

Another option would be to keep a browser window open to a page in ASC while you're researching and formatting your reply, and return to that browser window and refresh it every so often.

What is being done about the constant log-out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.