Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best way to browse keystrokes for ornament fonts?

I have a number of fonts that are non-alphabet ornaments, such as Monotype Rococo and Adobe Woodtype. I can look at a selection of the ornaments in Font Book, of course, but if I see an ornament I like, I have to guess which key to hit to get it. If it's the first ornament in the top row, of course I know I use capital A, but God help me if it's someplace in the middle of the fourth row. The obvious solution -- opening Keyboard Viewer and choosing the ornament font as the displayed typeface on the keys -- is unavailable due to some technical limitation of the later OS's that I don't understand.

Character Palette sort of works, but very clunkily. Basically, I pull up the latin alphabet, then go down to choose the ornament font in the Collections window below and then click letter by letter above. I do see the ornament each key gives me. But I'm seeing them one at a time and am giving up the at-a-glance scan of the available ornaments I'd have just by looking at a keyboard.

If anyone has a better way of browsing keystrokes for this kind of font, I'm very, very interested!

Thanks.

Rob

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 1:55 PM

The best way to input such stuff is via Character Palette, View = Glyph, Tab = Glyph Catalog, Font = whatever and just double click on what you want.

OS X uses Unicode, which really discourages the use of symbols other than Latin for the codepoints assigned to that script, so Keyboard Viewer will not show them.

2 replies

Jun 10, 2011 2:40 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

On re-reading and following your directions, I really should have given you 10 pts. for that answer, Tom, and not 5. I'd somehow misunderstood the glyph view, thinking it was only a matrix of a certain standard, limited set of symbols, like arrow dingbats and such. I see the way it works now, and it's quite practical.

Thanks very much.

Rob

What's the best way to browse keystrokes for ornament fonts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.