Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the correct configuration for WDS between T/C and AIrport Express?

I own a Time Capsule and Airport Express. I am trying to configure both of them for WDS main and remote. I entered the correct Wireless Modes, and Wireless Security (WPA/WPA2 Personal) passwords, but the TIme Capsule can't see the Airport Express. I get a "WDS Error" as the status on my TIme Capsule Summary tab. I can only get this to work if I shut-off Wireless Security on both the T/C and Airport Express. Thoughts?

MacBook Pro 15" 2.5GHz with 4Gbytes, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iPad, iPhone4 iOS4.3, Time Capsule, AppleTV, Vonage, G Drive

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 12:44 PM

22 replies

Jun 11, 2011 3:10 PM in response to Russa

Thanks!

Let's double-check your WDS configuration to make sure something wasn't missed.

Static WDS Setup

(Note: To facilitate the WDS set up, temporarily connect the remote (& relay) base station(s) to the AEBSn or Time Capsule by Ethernet during the set up phase, and then, relocate it to the desired location when complete. Also, jot down the AirPort IDs (MAC addresses) for each of the base stations to be used in the WDS. The AirPort ID and is printed on the label on the bottom/side of the base station.)

Main Base Station Setup

• Click the AirPort status menu in the menu bar and choose the wireless network created by the base station you want to set up as the main base station.
  • Open AirPort Utility (located in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder on a Macintosh computer, or in Start > All Programs > AirPort on a computer using Windows).
  • Select the main base station, and then, choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu.
  • Enter the base station password if necessary. If the base station is using the default password of public, you will not be prompted for a password.
  • Click Wireless in the toolbar, and then, choose “Participate in a WDS network” from the Wireless Mode pop-up menu. Note: You will need to hold down the Option key in order to get this option on the AEBSn, 802.11n AirPort Express Base Station (AXn), or Time Capsule (TC).
  • Click WDS and then, choose “WDS main” from the WDS Mode pop-up menu.
  • Select the “Allow wireless clients” checkbox if you want client computer to connect to this base station.
  • Click the Add "+" button and enter the AirPort ID of the base station you want to connect to this base station.
  • Click Update to send the new settings to the base stations in the WDS.

Remote Base Station Setup

• Open AirPort Utility; select the remote base station, and then, choose Manual Setup from the Base Station menu.
  • Enter the base station password, if necessary.
  • Enter the same network password as the main base station, if necessary.
  • Click AirPort in the toolbar, and then, click Wireless. Choose “Participate in a WDS network” from the Wireless Mode pop-up menu, and then, choose the same channel as the main base station from the Channel pop-up menu.
  • Click WDS and choose “WDS remote” from the pop-up menu.
  • Enter the AirPort ID of the main base station in the WDS Main field.
  • Click Update to transfer the settings to the base station.

Jun 11, 2011 4:30 PM in response to Tesserax

Yep.. did all that.. but your instructions differ on my Airport Utility v5.5.2.. Your post states "Click Wireless in the toolbar, and then, choose “Participate in a WDS network” from the Wireless Mode pop-up menu. Note: You will need to hold down the Option key in order to get this option on the AEBSn, 802.11n AirPort Express Base Station (AXn), or Time Capsule (TC)." I have a pull-down menu to get to “Participate in a WDS network”. I don't need the option key to be pressed.

Jun 11, 2011 4:52 PM in response to Tesserax

Hmm.. this time I attached an Ethernet cable with my remote basestation to my network.. I went thru the steps.. so now it shows up in my Airport menu bar on my MBP.. but in Airport Utility, the status light on my "Main" basestation alternates between "normal" and "WDS erorr". IT also shows the wireless clients alternating as well.

Now that I dsiconnected the Ethernet cable I lost the connection. I give up!

Thoughts??

Jun 11, 2011 8:48 PM in response to Russa

I guess you have to decide, whether or not, it is really worth configuring these base stations for a WDS. That is, this type of WDS can only operate in the 802.11g Radio Mode and has a significant bandwidth loss penalty. That penalty is for every base station added to the WDS, the overall bandwidth is cut in half. That means, running in 802.11g and starting with a maximum of 54 Mbps, you'd be getting around 25 Mbps of bandwidth.

Jun 12, 2011 6:35 AM in response to Tesserax

Actually, although it appears the basestations are connected, they cannot complete the handsake. The connection really doesn't work.

I understand the bandwidth degradation but my Internet with the cable company is only 20Mbps max anyway.

I think there must be a firmware bug between my older Airport Express and Time Capsule. I am abandoning this endeavor! 😢

Jun 12, 2011 7:02 AM in response to Tesserax

If I were to setup the Airport Express to "join an existing wireless network" should I be able to see it in my MBP menu bar as an Airport device? (While in Airport Utility I can see both the TIme cCapsule and Airport Express simultaneously and status is "green".) Or is the Airport Express merely a wireless access point extending my existing wireless network and reusing the same name? If the later is true, then does my MBP Airport pick the strongest signal and device (i.e. Time Capsule OR Airport Express) available to connect wirelessly? If true, then I should only see my original or existing wireless access point, right?

Jun 12, 2011 9:29 AM in response to Russa

If I were to setup the Airport Express to "join an existing wireless network" should I be able to see it in my MBP menu bar as an Airport device? (While in Airport Utility I can see both the TIme cCapsule and Airport Express simultaneously and status is "green".) Or is the Airport Express merely a wireless access point extending my existing wireless network and reusing the same name? If the later is true, then does my MBP Airport pick the strongest signal and device (i.e. Time Capsule OR Airport Express) available to connect wirelessly? If true, then I should only see my original or existing wireless access point, right?

When configured to join a wireless network, the Express is NOT performing as a router or wireless access point. Instead, it is performing like any other wireless client on the network. It would be normal NOT to see it in the menu bar, but it would be visible in the AirPort Utility.

Jun 18, 2011 3:36 PM in response to Russa

I have a few "old" AirPort Express devices around and had no difficulty following the instructions posted by Tesserax to configure the WDS setup.

Sometimes, a different look at something will help. If you have not seen Apple's instructions for WDS setup, they are here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4262

We're not sure what else to suggest unless you want to call Apple and pay to have a support person take you through the setup on the phone.

Jun 18, 2011 5:23 PM in response to Russa

Sorry, I am confused by your question.

The "main" router needs to be configured to connect to the Internet.

The "remote" AirPort Express connects to the "main" router using a wireless connection. Configured correctly, the "remote" AirPort Express will receive an IP address from the "main" router and provide more wireless coverage in the area where it is located and allow any wireless devices to connect to the Internet when they connect to the wireless network.

Regarding Ethernet, some users like to use an Ethernet cable to configure the AirPort Express and some prefer to configure it using wireless. Either will work.

Jun 18, 2011 5:36 PM in response to Russa

Well; it appears that the Boondongle is the WDS stuff. Simply ignore that part, make sure that "Allow network to be extended" box is ticked when you configure the base station, then add the Expresses one at a time to that network, and it all works, including Airplay on the remote speakers connected to each Express.

I expect that WDS will be moving off of the Airport Utility if this is a typical hassle.

Jun 18, 2011 6:12 PM in response to BMcRaeC

Well; it appears that the Boondongle is the WDS stuff. Simply ignore that part, make sure that "Allow network to be extended" box is ticked when you configure the base station, then add the Expresses one at a time to that network, and it all works,

Assuming that you want to provide more wireless coverage.....

It will only work if all of the wireless devices are newer "n" wireless routers.

If any of the routers are older "g" devices, WDS must be configured on all devices.

What is the correct configuration for WDS between T/C and AIrport Express?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.