Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install DVD problems

I am trying to install Windows 7 via Boot Camp on my mid-2010 15" MBP. During partitioning, I get the error that tells me to backup, erase, and restore Macintosh HD. I researched this and that seems like following the instructions is the only way to get around this (let me know if I am wrong please), and I started to do this. I have an external HD, which I backed up to via Time Machine.

I hunted down my install DVD, and tried to boot to it. I tried holding "C", and I tried holding "option", but both times, it would read the disc for roughly 30 seconds, and then eject it. This is the install DVD that came with my Macbook, it has 10.6.3 on it. It has no visible damage, so it seems like it should be working. It also ejects itself when I try to put it in with OS X booted from Macintosh HD, but I am not sure if this is normal or not.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

FYI, everything is updated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Mid-2010 MacBook Pro 15"

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 4:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 7:33 PM

It sounds like either the installation disc is damaged or the optical drive on your MBP has a problem, perhaps dirt or hardware damage. Will it work with another DVD, such as a movie? Will the installation disc mount on another Mac?

3 replies

Jun 11, 2011 7:58 PM in response to William-Boyd-Jr

The optical drive shows no signs of being damaged. It reads and burns CD's, DVD-R's, DVD+R's, and even DVD-DL's. It seems like the disc is very clean, but I will still try it on another mac tomorrow. The only other mac I have access to is a Macbook, not a Pro. Will my grey specific disc act the same on their mac, or should it at least mount?

Install DVD problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.