Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard-drive shuts down my entire system! Help?!

Hi, I have a Western Digital external hard-drive, Model wd1600u017-005, and very strangely, when I plug it into my MBP 2011 model, the entire computer shuts down, I've looked into this and I have found no one else experiencing a similar issue. It's very strange, and its not a formatting issue as it used to work perfectly fine on my mac until one day every time i plugged it in the computer would just switch off.

Any help?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 6:21 PM

It's likely a bus powered and drawing too much current, defective?

Talk to WD, don't they have forums?

Good Luck 🙂

14 replies

Jun 10, 2011 6:40 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks for your suggestion Linc, I've plugged it into another MBP with the same result. When I plugged it into a PC running WinXp, it wasn't even recognised and had no effect, I'm unsure what this means...

Although I dont think it was formatted in a Mac only state as I remember copying some files onto a PC with no issues in the past.

Cheers,

Jun 10, 2011 7:41 PM in response to daniel.roach27

Get yourself a powered USB hub and see if works, it sounds like it needs more power.

You can also DataRescue to direct access the drive and grab the files off if Disk Utility > Repair Disk fails to work repairing or seeing the disk.

If it comes to surgery like what Linc Davis is suggesting, there is a powered iDE/SATA to USB powered adapter at Newegg for like $20 or something like that if you don't need the costs of a enclosure or dock that costs about twice as much money as it's more like a permanent solution.

May 23, 2014 12:05 AM in response to daniel.roach27

This thread is really helpful to me. I have had problems with my iMac for around a year and a half - shuts off at randon. When I try to start it up again it shuts off. I usually have to unplug the power cable for a while and then go back to it and try starting up again. Sometines it can last for a couple of hours before it shuts down but it is always certain to happen. I have two WD 1TB external drives connected via USB - one holds my 500gb+ lossless itunes library, the other is the iMacs time machine back up. I talked to a local Apple approved service centre who advised that it was either the power cord or the logic board (expensive repair!). Two days ago I disconnected the external drives and moved the iMac down to the kitchen table, preparing to take it for diagnostic and repairs. I let it run for the evening and overnight - no shut down. My wife powered it up again yesterday evening when I was out and it stayed on. When I got home late last night I powered it up and left it on overnight - it stayed on. I think this forum has provided the answer....and saved me potentially over £600 in repair costs! I think I should now get home network attached storage for iTunes and time machine and keep external drives from direct connection to the iMac. I would appreciate any help or feedback.

External hard-drive shuts down my entire system! Help?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.