Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Images don't appear when project selected...

Hi Guys,

I am new to Aperture 3 and I'm still learning the ropes. I've encountered a problem which I can't seem to find a solution to no matter how much searching on this and other forums. From the manual I understand that Folders are designed to contain Projects (where masters are kept) and Albums (versions for display). I have decided to organize my library according to countries as this is how I have always done things. Example:

Italy (folder)

> 2010-08 Sienna (project)

> 2009-11 Genoa (project)

> etc.

So I created a whole bunch of folders of the countries that I've been to and then started importing my photos. During the import process there is no opportunity to choose where the new project will be located (ie: in one of the folders I'd just created) which meant that the new project was placed under the top level 'Projects and Albums' along with all the folders I'd made. I then dragged the new project into the relevant folder.

Now here is the strange thing that I can't figure out: when I click on the folder (in the example above - Italy) I see all the photos contained within both the Sienna and Genoa projects but when I click on the these projects individually no images appear in the browser even though I can see that there are 143 photos in one and 89 in the other (I have selected "Show numbers of versions for projects and albums" under Prefs>Appearance). Question 1: Can anyone help explain this?

Subsequent to this I have tried to import some more images from an external hard drive and while I can see the folder structure in the import file browser at the bottom of the screen no images appear in the main window where usually you are asked to check or uncheck the images you want to import. Question 2: Is this the same issue?

I'd really appreciate any help on this matter as it is driving me nuts!

Thanks very much.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 10:13 PM

I would suggest looking at the Basic Troubleshooting steps at the following link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

Specifically, for your Question #1 above, I would suggest the First Aid procedure and running the 'Repair Database' option listed in the linked page.

Note - I strongly suggest not running the 'Rebuild Database' option unless all other troubleshooting steps have been exhausted. This is also a caution given by Apple.

For your Question #2, if the repair database does not fix that one, then lower on the linked page you will find the procedure for 'Delete the user preferences' which has sorted the issue for me in the past. FWIW, I suspect that the OS X indexing (possibly for Spotlight) may have something to do with this issue.

As I think you suspect, you should be able to see the photos specific to each Project when you select it one in the library inspector (whether in the folder or not).

Note - the behavior of seeing all photos from all projects in a folder is correct. 😉

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2011 10:13 PM in response to Arafura

I would suggest looking at the Basic Troubleshooting steps at the following link:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3805

Specifically, for your Question #1 above, I would suggest the First Aid procedure and running the 'Repair Database' option listed in the linked page.

Note - I strongly suggest not running the 'Rebuild Database' option unless all other troubleshooting steps have been exhausted. This is also a caution given by Apple.

For your Question #2, if the repair database does not fix that one, then lower on the linked page you will find the procedure for 'Delete the user preferences' which has sorted the issue for me in the past. FWIW, I suspect that the OS X indexing (possibly for Spotlight) may have something to do with this issue.

As I think you suspect, you should be able to see the photos specific to each Project when you select it one in the library inspector (whether in the folder or not).

Note - the behavior of seeing all photos from all projects in a folder is correct. 😉

Images don't appear when project selected...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.