Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Prompting "Are you sure you want to shutdown your computer now?" and konks if idle...

I own a MBP 13" which is 7 months old. I have been having a serious problem for the past four days.

1. Sometimes it konks out during the startup apple logo screen.

2. When logged in it keeps prompting " Are you sure you want to shutdown your system now?" with options "Shutdown, sleep and cancel". Everytime I cancel it reappears when left idle for 5 secs and have to cancel it otherwise it shuts down the system.

I have been talking to the apple support team for the past four days for technical support related to software issues.

I have tried every routine advised including software update and finally reinstalling the OS. It keeps recurring. The support team says it might be a Hardware issue and has asked me to take it to a service center.

I have also run the Apple Harware Test which came out "No problems found!".

I also tried googling the problem online only to find one such thread but sadly without a solution.

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/topic/58629-are-you-sure-you-want-to-shut-down-your-com puter-now-randomly-appearing/

I am leaving to the service center now. Please help!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 9:47 PM

18 replies

Jun 10, 2011 10:10 PM in response to Mukunthan

Are you running on AC or battery power? Open System Profiler, click on the Power item in the sidebar list. What sort of battery health is indicated? When the AC adaptor is connected does the battery charge, and does it charge fully?

Does this problem occur if you boot into Safe Mode?

Create a new user account then log into the new account. Does the problem occur in the new account?

Jan 23, 2013 7:54 PM in response to Kappy

I was having a similar problem with my iMac signaling the shutdown window repeatedly on its own, especially when the machine is first started up. It has an Apple 30" monitor attached. After reviewing this and several other posts, I became suspicious of the power button on the 30" monitor so I disconnected the monitor and viola, that was the problem! The capacative touch switches on the monitor are repeatedly signaling for a power shut down. If I hold my finger on the monitor's power switch, it will not send a signal. Well, that's certainly not a permantent solution to my problem but at least now I know it's a hardware problem--I thought I must have some type of virus or system problem for the longest time.

Jan 25, 2014 10:58 AM in response to Darryl5

Daryll5---Thanks!!! You nailed my problem. I also have a 30-inch monitor and when I hold the button in the shut-down pop up window no longer appears. As a temporary fix, I taped a small nub of plastic over the button to hold it in, which works. But longer term, the monitor will have to be hauled in for servicing.

Prompting "Are you sure you want to shutdown your computer now?" and konks if idle...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.