Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating the hard drive in a first gen MBA

My wife has a first generation MacBook Air--1.6 ghz with an 80 GB hard drive. She's entirely out of room, so I ordered this drive as a replacement:

http://www.memoryamerica.com/k3vlar128gb.html

Does anyone know of any problems with this drive?

Thanks.

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 12:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 4:09 PM

Hi Rick,

While I have no direct experience with that HD (or that drive's manufacturer) the good news you got the form factor and connection type right. I had recently installed a similar drive (128GB SSD) into the same generation MacBook Air and it worked out just fine.

2 replies

Jun 12, 2011 3:37 PM in response to JasonFear

Thanks, Jason. You essentially gave me the answer I wanted to hear since I knew there were differences in the drive for this first generation. Since I bought Applecare for my wife's MacBook Air, I'm going to take it to a friend of mine who works in an Apple-certified repair shop so that in switching out this hard drive, I don't violate the warranty.

I especially liked the fact that this particular drive came with an external enclosure for the old drive. That will make switching everything much easier.

Updating the hard drive in a first gen MBA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.