Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Search in comment fields does not work

Searches in iTunes 10.3.1 (55) do not search in the comment fields of my mp3 and aac music library (Mac Version)

With iTunes on Windows searching in comment fields works without any problems.

Where does this unpleasant difference come from?

iTunes-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 3:34 AM

11 replies

Jun 12, 2011 7:16 AM in response to ed2345

Sorry ed2345, but this is simply not true!

On Windows iTunes I can search for content in comment fields with or without comments currently active in the display.

On Mac iTunes searches for comment field content doesn't work at all, no matter whether the comment field is active in the display or not.

Actually I would expect a qualified answer from Apple about this issue.

Jun 12, 2011 12:23 PM in response to martinfromaeschi so

On Mac iTunes searches for comment field content doesn't work at all, no matter whether the comment field is active in the display or not.

Sounds like a bug. There is no obvious reason that that particular behavior would be designed to be platform-dependent. You can report it to Apple at the iTunes Feedback Page.

Actually I would expect a qualified answer from Apple about this issue.

This is a user-to-user forum. Apple does not respond here.

Jun 23, 2011 2:14 AM in response to martinfromaeschi so

To ed2345:

Thank you for your hint about the iTunes Feedback Page (even though Apple states there "We read all feedback carefully, but please note that we cannot respond to the comments you submit"). I've submitted the original text to them today.

To rafifiesta:

No, I didn't find a solution on my mac for this problem (iTunes on Windows: no problem!)

Jun 28, 2011 4:32 PM in response to martinfromaeschi so

@martinfromaeschi

I signed up for this forum after many frustrating hours fiddling with itunes but i feel i might have found an answer. This might sound overly simple or redudant in a way but hear me out.

I just recently got a Windows 7 computer and when i transfered my playlist I was having the same problem where I couldn't search comments field. But, on my previous comp, a Win Vista, it worked fine.

The suggestion of activating or clicking on "comments" field on the list is correct HOWEVER, you have to do so in the TEXT LIST VIEW [first viewing option from left,] that is left of the search box ((i'm saying this assuming Mac itunes have similar if not same UI as the windows one))

Since when i had my vista i used to view the music on TEXT LIST VIEW [first viewing option] but i migrated over to ALBUM ART LIST VIEW [2nd viewing option] and obviously comments was activated on the list view long before so i didn't notice any issues with searching comments.

But by default that's not the case. ***You have to enable "comments" field from the TEXT LIST VIEW*** Even if you don't have 'comments" visible in other viewing options when you search, as long as "comments" is visible from the TEXT LIST VIEW, you can search "comments" field.

I don't know how useful this info is but i hope your case is the same as mine.

Dec 13, 2012 4:11 PM in response to desktopsheavyonlap

I've been bothered by this for YEARS! Now I know I have to have the "comments" field (or any field I want iTunes to find data in) checked in my viewing options. If it is not, search will not find the data in it. I would think iTunes would search every field regardess but that isn't the case.

Thank you for offerieng this. I'd still rather iTunes search every field regardless of its visibility. I don't want to have to have the comments field in all of my list views. Yes, I can drag its column off to the right so that it isn't visible but a better solution would be to have it search all fields regardless of their viewing option choice. The data is all there regardless of its visibility.

iTunes Search in comment fields does not work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.