Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert mp4 (xdcam) to mov (pro res)

Hello

I had another cameraman filming on an EX3. When I went to pick-up the footage they had PC set-up, I had mac hard-drive.

Time was very short, so they put the data on DVD's. I told them I needed the whole directory structure or it would not work. They didn't understand. It was in Spain.

ANYWAY - I'm left with a few MP4 files that will not work in XCDAM transfer obviously, do not work in Compressor, Final Cut, or Magic Bullet Grinder! Very annoying.

How can I convert these mp4's to Pro Res?? There must be a way (hopes)

Please help asap.

Thanks!!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), 2 x 2.93 6 core (12 core) 16Gb Ram 512Gb SSD 1TB internal

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 10:05 AM

11 replies

Jun 13, 2011 4:19 AM in response to CBeditor

>I think we need Shane here.... (Christina)

Shane's experience with XDCAM EX is very limited. The one project that was primarily XDCAM was all converted by an assistant editor before I got there. They used Log and transfer, then the Media Manager to convert.

You have several MP4s that won't convert? You say you have the FULL card structure, but you can't get L&T to recognize the footage? OK, have you tried the SOny Clip Browser...it is designed to read the XDCAM EX cards, and convert to native codec QT files for FCP. And then from there, use the Media Manager, or MPEG STREAMCLIP, or COmpressor (I recommend Compressor).

>That's what I've been using all my life. What would you suggest we use in a situation like this then? (CB editor)

You've been using H.264s to edit with all your life? You're young! (snicker). No, you are not supposed to edit with H.264 files. They aren't in an editing codec. We say that daily here...twice, three, four times a day. You get no RT with FCP, and it bogs the system down...it is processor intensive. Always convert to ProRes.

Convert mp4 (xdcam) to mov (pro res)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.