Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my time machine icon eject from the desktop after backup is finished?

For the past few days, when time machine has finished its backup, the time machine icon remains on my desktop rather than ejecting automatically like it used to. The only thing that has changed is that I downloaded Mac Family Tree about a week ago. Is there a way to rectify this?

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 1:54 PM

32 replies

Jun 11, 2011 3:03 PM in response to Kappy

Hmmmm. Maybe I'm not stating this correctly. I use a Time capsule (wireless) for my time machine backup and up until a few days ago, the Time Machine icon would pop up on my desktop when the hourly backup begins (still does) and then automatically disappear from the desktop upon completion of the backup. Since I've been backing up to the time capsule, I have never had to manually eject the time machine icon from the desktop, until now.

Aug 1, 2011 5:36 AM in response to Kappy

Ditto,

Mine just started not un-mounting (that the correct term) the sparce bundle file after I upgraded to Lion.

So it's not USB related but Time Capsule / TM related so we can all get on the same page.

It never failed to unmount the bundle when I was on SL. It would spin, mount, backup, and unmount.

Now it spins, mounts, backs up, and leaves the mount around. PITA as normally I use the desktop and the place that the mount comes up as a quick visual if a backup is happening. It's big and easy. The litlle spinner is still there I agree.

Aug 2, 2011 2:34 PM in response to Pondini

Starting standard backup

Attempting to mount network destination URL: afp://Conrad%20Hanstein@Time-Capsule-f5321.local/Data

Mounted network destination at mountpoint: /Volumes/Data using URL: afp://Conrad%20Hanstein@Time-Capsule-f5321.local/Data

QUICKCHECK ONLY; FILESYSTEM CLEAN

Disk image /Volumes/Data/Conrad Hanstein’s MacBook Air.sparsebundle mounted at: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups

Backing up to: /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

325.8 MB required (including padding), 839.78 GB available

Copied 1511 files (11.2 MB) from volume Untitled.

314.4 MB required (including padding), 839.78 GB available

Copied 1579 files (1.1 MB) from volume Untitled.

Starting post-backup thinning

No post-back up thinning needed: no expired backups exist

Backup completed successfully.

Waiting for Spotlight to finish indexing /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

Stopping backup to allow backup destination disk to be unmounted or ejected.

Backup failed because the destination disk was ejected or disconnected unexpectedly!

**The last line I expect is because I manually ejected the "Time Machine Backups" disk (because it didn't auto eject)**

Update: I backed up again, but this time didn't manually unmount the disk, and this is what the backup widget is showing:

Backup completed successfully.

Waiting for Spotlight to finish indexing /Volumes/Time Machine Backups/Backups.backupdb

Aug 2, 2011 3:43 PM in response to noondaywitch

noondaywitch wrote:

Simple answer would seem to be to tell Spotlight not to index the TC drive.

That doesn't work; you cannot exclude Time Machine backups from being indexed. If you do it on Lion, you get a message that the backups will still be indexed, but any other data will not. That message is new in Lion, but the handling is not -- Time Machine backups must be indexed for TM to work properly. That's why you'll sometimes see indexing messages during a backup.

Why won't my time machine icon eject from the desktop after backup is finished?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.