Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp Problem Solving Nothing Working

I'm running a Mac OS X 10.6.7 with bootcamp pre-installed. I have read some of the discussions already on it but no one seems to be having the same amount of trouble as me.

Starting from the top:

I have downloaded all my updates for software.

I have backed up my system to hard disk.

Bootcamp refuses to download Windows support software to CD or Drive

Bootcamp will not partition on any level

last but not least HD will not permit erase. (I saw a posting on this one but I don't know how to get my HD off the HD so that I can be on and yet not on it.)

I'm starting to think my Mac doesn't like windows 🙂 Can someone tell me what I should do in order? The only thing missing from my three days of attempts is original disks for my computer. I don't have them. I'm outside the US and they are not available here in the third world.

Just looking for all other options before I give up on Windows all together.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 6:19 PM

Follow the Boot Camp Installation Guide (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf). You can't download the drivers, even though it says to. Only Macbook Air can download and use the drivers. You must install the drivers off your OSx installation disk when booted into Windows.

What does "Bootcamp will not partition at any level" mean? You use Boot Camp Assistant, per the guide, to partition your HD. What error do you get?

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2011 6:19 PM in response to chillytv

Follow the Boot Camp Installation Guide (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf). You can't download the drivers, even though it says to. Only Macbook Air can download and use the drivers. You must install the drivers off your OSx installation disk when booted into Windows.

What does "Bootcamp will not partition at any level" mean? You use Boot Camp Assistant, per the guide, to partition your HD. What error do you get?

Jun 11, 2011 6:38 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

That's exactly what I thought. don't have the disks so that's going to be my biggest problem. No point in trying to do anything more without them, looks like.

Bootcamp gives me the same message it gives everyone else: "could not partition because some files cannot be moved."

I backed up the laptop but when I went to try and erase disk it doesn't work because it won't erase itself while in use. I'm not sure how to get the HD someplace else so I can erase it and restore. Not even sure what the risks are. If I don't have my original disks should I attempt it?

Jun 12, 2011 5:16 AM in response to chillytv

chillytv wrote:

That's exactly what I thought. don't have the disks so that's going to be my biggest problem. No point in trying to do anything more without them, looks like.

Bootcamp gives me the same message it gives everyone else: "could not partition because some files cannot be moved."

I backed up the laptop but when I went to try and erase disk it doesn't work because it won't erase itself while in use. I'm not sure how to get the HD someplace else so I can erase it and restore. Not even sure what the risks are. If I don't have my original disks should I attempt it?

Get the disks first would be my advice

Jun 12, 2011 9:12 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

BobTheFisherman wrote:

tonydoe wrote:

chillytv, I have the very same problem. If u succeed getting it to work please tell me how:)

If you indeed have the very same problem, first you need the disks.

I dont have original disks as i have bought my macbook pro 13'' second-hand.

I found images of mac os x 10.6.3 installation dvds on the internet. Would they do? My version is 10.6.7

Jun 12, 2011 9:31 AM in response to tonydoe

Anyway bootcamp would not partition my HD saying "Could not partition because some files cannot be moved. Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

The thing is that my HD is already formated as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume...

Bootcamp Problem Solving Nothing Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.