Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Putting ATI Radion HD 5770 graphics card in a 2009 Mac pro. How do i wire the booster cable?

My friend got a new graphics card, and gave me his old ATI Radion HD 5770. I want to put it in my 2009 Mac pro, but im not sure how. It uses a booster cable, and im not sure if there is a place to plug that in, or if i need an adapter for it. Or if i have to split power from somewhere else to power it.

Any Help would be great.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 11, 2011 6:06 PM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2015 1:36 PM in response to The hatter

Hey Hatter,

That 6 Core 5,1 is a keeper...it's quiet, runs cool, and it's BLAZING FAST in my Pro Tools Rig running 10.8 😎. This is all without the XP941 installed, I'm waiting for the Lycom adapter which should be here by Saturday. I really look forward to installing the XP941, and the other drives to really appreciate the entire package that I have.

In any event, in anticipation of the arrival of all the purchased upgrades, and moving forward with installations, I came across this thread about the HD5770. If you remember, I have the Quadro 4000 that I want to sell, would I need an additional cable, or would I just pull the Quadro 4K, and install the HD5770 with the same cable?

I'm trying to avoid doing the upgrades, only to find out I need a cable that I don't have, then having to stop to order one.😠

As usual, thanks for your time, and forthcoming response.

All The Best

Mar 5, 2015 1:59 PM in response to 13th Crowned

PS Bookmark your old thread! 🙂

Same power cable. But then those only cost $US7 and am sure easy enough to find, no?

And does Pro Tools "eat RAM for breakfast-lunch-dinner"? Some apps (and OS X) the more memory available to cache disk and data operations, and manipulate in memory - the better. Which is why up to a point Adobe can keep improving as you go from 24GB to 48GB to even 128GB (with large enough files, layers, masks....)

You can run both GPUs with another power adapter. might want to see how that goes anyway just to play with before selling Q4k.

Instant response is the holy grail - touch and go, launch an app before the thought is there.

Will be interested in how 10 seconds to boot from cold start, and another 10 seconds for all the auto-launch windows and apps on login.

Always glad to see someone turn workstation into a sport car. The feeling of those first G5 ads? wind and pushed back into the seat? Did it materialize?? Shelby Cobra doing 60 in 3.6 seconds. speed!

Mar 5, 2015 3:02 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks again Hatter, I chose to respond here because it was relevant to the HD-5770. I figured this was the better way to keep on the subject, than to respond to the older ones not referencing the 5770. I'll get it together soon enough...thanks.

On the subject of the cable, I knew what to look for, I just didn't know if I'd need it or not when I pull the Quadro 4K to sell it on eBay. I have this in my shopping cart already...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G2UDJIW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1& smid=A3IDT9F5A1GWX6

As for your question about Pro Tools and its appetite for Ram, that's the BEAUTY of the new Pro Tools 11 which is the latest version, and also the 1st version to be a 64-Bit application. Having said that, PT11 doesn't break a sweat at all with the 24GB installed in this 5,1.

With the new version of Pro Tools being 64-Bit, we now have a better workflow in just about every aspect. MOST IMPORTANTLY, Pro Tools can now recognize all the Ram in my system. Past versions of Pro Tools (32-Bit - older engine) could only address 3GB of RAM for plug-ins...that's right 3GB. This was an especially hard hit to anyone using plug-ins that are Sample based and required the loading of samples into RAM.

This is why I NEEDED to make the move to a 5,1 sooner than later...What I'm able to do now without a hitch, I had to jump hoops "trying" to accomplish similar tasks prior to this 64-Bit version...and it's only been a few days...and the XP941 isn't even in there yet.😎

I've decided to continue to use WD Blacks for now, I already have a WD Black 1TB Sample Drive that I'll continue to use (2 years old). I bought another WD Black 1TB for my (Pro Tools Projects) to start anew with all the Read/Write that occurs on that drive. I'm also keeping an existing WD Black for iTunes, Photos, Office Documents, etc. I'll have a 4TB WD Black in there for Time Machine, and an External Seagate Expansion 4TB for CCC as well.

I will get a couple of SSD's in there, but I can't afford them right now. Remember those 4 tires I mentioned? Now I need a radiator, and hoses😠. The WD Black HDD's worked flawless for me for years, so I have no problems waiting a few months to get in on the SSD action in slots 1-2.

After all, the prices on the Samsung 850 EVO might drop again by the time I'm ready to purchase them.😎

Yessir, this will be my Silver Shelby Cobra.😁...I will keep you posted when I'm completed with the overhaul, and she's on the road.

Thanks for all your time, and advice...I really appreciate it Sir

All The Best!

Putting ATI Radion HD 5770 graphics card in a 2009 Mac pro. How do i wire the booster cable?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.