Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD Not Active

Suddenly I'm getting this message from the Admin software, when trying to access my home Mac from my work Mac.

I've checked at home, and restarted, but nothing. It is running when I check the preference pane.

I'm behind a router at home, but have been for six months, and it's always worked fine...

...can anyone help me figure out why it's suddenly giving me this message?

Thanks in advance,

un

Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Jan 12, 2006 1:44 AM

3 replies

Mar 13, 2006 3:37 PM in response to quarterwit

I have recently begun to have the same problem.

I have a computer I work with that just began to return these indicators:

When first turned on, "Access Denied" and after a time, it switches to "ARD not active." I have checked both in person and by having the person on site check to see that none of the shortname/passwords have been changed. We have also tried restarting the cable modem and router.

This setup has worked for over a year, and now it is impossible to connect with. I had someone bring in their personal iBook and hook it up to the network. I was able to 'see' (list the computer in ARD, but they were running an older version of the Client so I was unable to "Control") their computer as well as access their HD via "Connect To Server." Even after that, I was still unable to connect the original computer.

Assuming nothing has changed since I was last able to connect, what should I try?

The remote computer:
G4/400MHz Running OS X 10.3.9 (with the updated ARD Client)

My computer:
Dual 2G/G5 Running OS X 10.4.5 (with ARD 2.2)

Mar 15, 2006 2:20 AM in response to quarterwit

Make sure that all computers on your lan continue to use the same lan ip address from your router. Many routers will dynamically assign these addresses but some will also statically assign. Without the static assignment, the Macs in question may be getting assigned a different address than the one setup in ARD. Alternatively, you could also re-add the computer with it's new lan ip address. Port fowarding in a router is also important, making sure that the router is fowarding the ARD commands to the right Mac through the right ports.

ARD Not Active

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.