Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much RAM can I put into my Macbook Pro?

Here's my info:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro4,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

I want to upgrade my RAM, as the computer is showing a bit of age at 3 years old now. I looked at this support page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270#link8

And judged the installation to be easy enough for me to do, but I'm confused as to how much RAM I can buy. The conflict I see is that "Additional notes" says I can use up to 8GB of RAM, but the table says only 4GB. What's throwing me off is basic math -- is that 4GB only referring to my slots (thus 4+4=8) or is it saying that anything over 4GB will not be recognized by my computer?

I spoke with someone at Apple, but he seemed a bit confused by my question, and eventually gave me a "yes" that was timid enough that I felt the need to post here. So, I'd appreciate the support! Thanks a lot, everyone. I'm just looking to not spend more than I need (in terms of buying excess RAM), and make sure I don't ruin my Mac in the process.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.4)

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 6:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 6:38 AM

The MacBook Pro 4,1 can acces a maximum RAM of 6GB

However RAM comes in 4GB modules and you have two slots, so you install 8GB (two 4GB modules) and can only access 6GB of it according to MacTracker.

Use the free Crucial.com site to make sure your getting the extact specified RAM specs, you can buy it anywhere if you like.

http://www.crucial.com/

(no comp)

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 12, 2011 6:38 AM in response to promohthree

The MacBook Pro 4,1 can acces a maximum RAM of 6GB

However RAM comes in 4GB modules and you have two slots, so you install 8GB (two 4GB modules) and can only access 6GB of it according to MacTracker.

Use the free Crucial.com site to make sure your getting the extact specified RAM specs, you can buy it anywhere if you like.

http://www.crucial.com/

(no comp)

Jun 12, 2011 7:11 AM in response to promohthree

promohthree: DON'T buy two 4GB RAM modules. Buy one, which will give you 5GB of RAM, and if you find that you still want or need more, buy a 2GB module to replace your remaining 1GB module.

Your machine may not work at all with two 4GB modules installed, and even if it does, you'll spend twice as much that way to get 6GB as you would to get 5GB.

Jun 12, 2011 7:26 AM in response to promohthree

eww is right,

use the Crucial.com checker for your machine, they will give you the correct "kit" specifications for your machine so your not spending too much or putting in too much memory that it won't work.

It also should tell you your default RAM installed, so if your machine came with one 2GB module, you only then need a 4GB module.

Again, check with Crucial as they make the process simplified without opening up your machine to take a look. 🙂

How much RAM can I put into my Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.