Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto backup correct way??

i have been told several ways to back-up my photos and want to know the accurate way.

i have a lacie external to use for back-up. i am using iphoto '09 and have 50.16gb to store.

could some one please explain in layterms for me how to effectively do so.

thank you for your help!

movie lady

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 9:14 AM

6 replies

Jun 12, 2011 9:23 AM in response to movie lady

There are many ways - use Time Machine (My personal choice - note that it has been reported that TM does not backup up the iPhoto library while iPhoto is running so it is good to exit iPhoto when not using it), other commercial backup programs (I also use carbon copy cloner to do a daily clone in addition to my TM backup) or you can just drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external hard drive (this is the slowest and is not automatic so is the most likely way to not have a good up to date backup when you need it

In any case the EHD should be formatted Mac OS extended (journaled)

LN

Jun 12, 2011 5:45 PM in response to movie lady

movie lady wrote:

if i drag iphoto to the external hard drive is that the program files also or just thumbnails? in the past several versions ago i was instructed to create a new album with all the photos in it on my desktop. then drag that album to the EHD. what would the difference be this time in simply dragging it.

thank you.

None of the above - you do nothing with the iPhoto application and nothing with any files - it is the entire iPhoto library at once

you can just drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external hard drive

LN

Jun 13, 2011 10:56 AM in response to LarryHN

sorry to be a pain. i find it under "harddrive mac', then when i click on the lacie drive it shows me everything that is on the HD. i hit option I to see if it would give me info but only what is on there such as movies, etc. that i have backed-up in past.

there is a file named LaCie storage utilities but this is all it reads:

This ReadMe is a quick introduction to the contents of this LaCie Storage CD. This is intended to make it easy for you to find what you need as quickly and easily as possible.

User uploaded fileSilverlining Software
Silverlining Pro is an application that provides essential Macintosh drive management functions in a convenient control panel. Use Silverlining Pro to test, format and partition drives, mount, unmount and password protect volumes, and manage removable media. It can also be used to create high performance RAID volumes.
Silverlining Pro is compatible with all Macintosh models, Mac OS 9.0.4 through 9.2.2.
Note: If you are running Macintosh OS X exclusively you will not need Silverlining Pro. The LaCie drive is completely Mac OS X compatible and the operation system provides full support for this device.

User uploaded fileSilverKeeper Software
SilverKeeper will Backup, Compare, Synchronize or Restore folders on Apple Power Macintosh computers. It can copy or compare folders of any writable device that is visible as a volume mounted on the Macintosh Desktop. This includes hard drives, ZIP drives, DVD-RAM drives; almost any internal or external Macintosh disk or flash device.

If you do not already use a backup program to protect you valuable data we highly recommend that you look into using this program.

does this tell me if formatted correctly for what i need? or am i looking in wrong place?

thank you.

iphoto backup correct way??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.