Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I received a notification that I had a virus and that I now need to purchase Mac Defender. Could this be true or an ad?

I received a message stating that a virus had infected my files and that I needed to purchase MacDefender to clean up my system. Is this true and the best way to move forward?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 10:59 AM

6 replies

Jun 12, 2011 6:07 PM in response to Csound1

According to the OP's profile he's running MacOS X 10.2, so he must have a PPC iMac and in no danger of loosing his credit card or even putting up with the Trojan's nuisances as it won't run on his machine and probably wasn't even downloaded with the latest 2-stage installer. The reference you gave applies only to MacOS X 10.4 and above, but no doubt will still apply to his situation.

Jun 14, 2011 5:00 PM in response to cornelius

MadMac is right. It won't even install on a powerpc based mac. I tried it on an old computer for experimental reasons and the installer will not even run. It starts the process but stalls and does not let you proceed.

Still, I recommend that you don't play around with it. If you didn't seek it out don't install it. don't believe things that pop up in your face on the internet. A virus scan cannot be done in your browser, plus the "finder window" that it displayed will not even have your folders in it. All it shows is generic folders.

I received a notification that I had a virus and that I now need to purchase Mac Defender. Could this be true or an ad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.