Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting everything from Powerbook G4 to sell it

I just bought macbook pro and would like to sell my old powerbook g4. How do I delete everything off it before see it? i have the powerbook g4 Mac OS X install disc 1 and 2- do I just use those? The instal discs I have are Mas OS version 10.4 however my powerbook is currently running Mac OS X 10.5.8. Does that mean when it is installed it will be a very old version again? Also will I loose microsoft office products after the update? What do I do about that? Privavcy is not my biggest issue I dont mind if everything is just in the trash, would it be better to just delete everything manually? Thanks

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), G4

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 12:04 PM

1 reply

Jun 13, 2011 8:00 PM in response to cjflem1

Boot up to your OS X install disk 1, and from utilities choose Disk Utility. Choose the internal hard drive, and do a secure erase, writing zero's to the hard drive. This will leave the hard drive entirely erased with no ability to recover anything from it.

You can then either reinstall 10.4 or 10.5 (assuming you have the retail 10.5 install disks). If you don't have Microsoft Office install CD/DVD's, you'll lose those programs by doing the erase.

Deleting everything from Powerbook G4 to sell it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.