Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yet another...Not booting - display grey/black/blank - Power Mac G5

First time submission. Want to make sure I tried everything I could before I probably need to get logic board(?).

Bought my G5 July 2004. It has worked AWESOMELY until starting about a month ago. It was having problems booting up fully which I thought was due to my (new) room being warm, above 80 degrees. Live in desert, high heat, low humidity. I would turn on ac so it would get 80 or below and it would start up. Then lately it stops at a solid grey screen or is just black.

Pretty sure cords are ok. Installed new battery. Reset PMU. Tried option+command+P+R (it only chimes once when I do it).

Here is what I currently get:

*Start up - chimes once and all fans kick on. Steady white on/status light.

*Display light comes on - sometimes solid grey or blank/black screen.

*Does not recognize my Wacom tablet whether it is plugged it at start up or plugged in after.

*If I keep computer on, it slowly gains "momentum" before "taking off out the window."

*I popped out the cd drive and inserted Install Disk 1 to see if the computer would recognize it. It does, but the eject button does not work on the keyboard. Gotta use my specially designed paper clip disk pop out tool (on the newer towers, have they finally added a little button so you don't need it???) I do not have the Hardware Test disk (but I have everything else go figure), but someone mentioned trying the Install disk + C to see if it could boot from there. It does not.

*Shutting down - I can hold on/status button a bit and it does shut down, BUT the display power light remains on.

Reading through discussions, I am convinced I need a new logic board, but want to make sure I have tried EVERYTHING, or if there is anything else I can try that I haven't found yet. (Lol, maybe it is just the adapter/cords 😝)

I really need/would like to get my computer running again. I have design work on there that I need ASAP!! Plus, even after almost 7 years I still love it!! If only love could fix the problem.... (hey, if I were to buy a new one, can they recycle the body of this one for it? Kinda silly to throw away or send to recycling plant...)

Any help finding a freaking great solution to this proble would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks so much,

Sad(very sad)Jennifer

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.3.x), I really need the stuff on it!

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 3:00 PM

6 replies

Jun 12, 2011 3:23 PM in response to SadJennifer

Hi Jennifer,

>*If I keep computer on, it slowly gains "momentum" before "taking off out the window."

Normal safety feature if no OS loads to ensure cooling.

>have they finally added a little button so you don't need it?

NO, it's gotten worse in fact, the new ones like in the Minis & Laptops don't even have a Paper Clip hole.

Holding the Mouse button down while booting up should eject it.

Does it show the Startup Manager if you hold the Option/alt key down at bootup?

Does it Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup)?

Very sad Jennifer! 😟

Jun 12, 2011 4:23 PM in response to BDAqua

I tried Option/ALT and it WORKED! Once....yeah, I shut it down just to see if it would work again. It didn't, with or without the Install disk. Neither did just Shift, or Command+Option+Shift+Delete. BUT that's gotta mean something right? At least narrows it maybe? I probably shouldn't have shut it off. I'm scared.

I'm going to let it sit for a couple hours and try again. At least HOPEFULLY I'll be able to finish my project that is due tomorrow. If it doesn't work I'll just have to try piecing (hacking) it together on this limited, stupid PC.

Anyways. Since Option DID give me a way to start the computer, do you have an idea of what could be the next step in solving this problem? Is there some little part that might instantly over heat, and a safety switch kicks in not letting it start up completely? I have to say I am pretty stumped. Been scouring the net on what to do to fix it. For 7 years I have not had to do a single thing to this computer because I never had any problems. Maybe if I had, I would better know what to do! (In that 7 years my husband has had 4 PC's, lol. And not cheap ones either!)

THANK YOU!!

Jun 12, 2011 5:05 PM in response to SadJennifer

Might be time to replace the PRAM Battery, 4 years is close to their lifespan, far less if ever without AC power, & can cause strange startup problems...

See which one your G5 has...

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/CR2032/

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newer%20Technology/BAA36VPRAM/

>Maybe if I had, I would better know what to do!

Have you blown the dust out lately?

>You think they took away the paper clip hole so people would HAVE to bring it in to pay and have someone get the disk out?

Hmmm, isn't everything headed for "disposable"? Somebody I know just paid $800 for a Side Mirror to be replaced, apparently it had a computer inside of it!? 😢

Not enough data yet, but it kind of sound like heat may be the primary problem here, other than the PRAM Battery.

Jun 12, 2011 9:20 PM in response to BDAqua

Success!! It turned on again!!

Only turns on using Command.

So now to break down why it won't boot using Command (or just normal start up) unless it's "cool". I let it sit for 4 hours tonight to be sure it was cooled off. Temp in there now is 76. If I have it on, shut it down and try immediately restarting it with Command, it will not turn back on.

I just replaced the battery, I think Friday, and I dust the inside often with air.

Now to get to work so it is done for 8am! Whoo!! Gonna be an allnighter here!!!

Yet another...Not booting - display grey/black/blank - Power Mac G5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.