Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Drive Partition, Lost Files

As the title suggests, I made a mistake that "erased" all my files on a backup external hard drive, after splitting a partition in two and installing Mac OS X Leopard on the new partition. I use quotes in "erased" because the data itself is still there, but the access to it isn't anymore. Before thinking about using recovery software and going through the harsh process of churning through hundreds of GB of data to recover files that could be corrupted in the end, I wanted to seek the opinions of more knowledgeable people to see if there are alternative solutions that could be more simple.

Here's my situation and all the steps that lead to my current state. I have a iMac with Core 2 Duo Intel processor, 2.66 GHz, 2 GB of RAM and an internal hard drive of 320 GB, with Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.8) installed. For backup and temporary transfer of files, I use an external USB hard drive, a Seagate FreeAgent with 500 GB (500 billion bytes = 465 GB actually).

I wanted to boot from my external hard drive to do some maintenance on my iMac's hard drive. So I used Disk Utility to split the current partition (the only one) on my external drive. The drive had 465 GB, give or take, with approximately 50GB free. The other partition to be created was 10GB. I know this is the kind of delicate operation that should be done with caution, but Disk Utility was saying explicitly that "this partition will not be erased", refering to the big partition that will become approximately 455 GB, the one that contains all my files. I say to myself, okay, that is safe.

Now, here comes the thing that I'm not 100% sure about. At this point, I don't know if the big partition was already erased. Both partitions (455GB and 10GB) always mounted on the desktop just fine. I was probably just "presuming" that everything went fine.

Then I proceeded to install Mac OS X Leopard from the installation DVD on the small 10GB partition, which went fine. It's only at this moment that I realised that my big partition was empty. Shortly after, I set the permissions of the big partition to read-only, assuming it would minimize further damage.

That's about it. At this point, my first thought was, what exactly just happened? In my mind, playing with one partition should not affect the other ones, but apparently, something did anyway, for a reason that is beyond my knowledge. Right now, I'm still wondering what operation did do the damage, the partition split or the installation of Mac OS X? Why would any of these operations erase the big partition?

And here's another important point to ponder. Before the partition split, my external hard drive was formatted as APM, Apple Partition Map. After the split, or after the Mac OS X installation (which one, I don't know), the partition scheme had changed to GUID. Maybe this is the key to solve the problem.

I know that my data is still intact, at least in most part, and I know that the file structure (B-Tree information, and stuff like that) seems to be intact (completely or partially) as well, because I visualized some sectors of my drive with a tool called iBored, and I recognized some folder and file names.

That's all the details I can provide. Right now, I feel like any low-level operation on my external drive is like defusing a bomb. One little mistake, and boom! So I prefer to do nothing until I can get some advice from others.

Thank you for your help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 3:33 PM

5 replies

Jun 12, 2011 4:55 PM in response to Bwass

Mac OS X will do dynamic partitioning (without losing data), but it can only be done when working within the free space of a drive. Therefore certain partition configurations may require you to completely erase the drive. So basically what was the free space on your external hard drive when your did the partitioning? That could be the reason you lost data. I would try a data recovery program to get your data back, this is the link for one http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/system_disk_utilities/macfilerecovery.html

Jun 12, 2011 5:30 PM in response to Bwass

I have to agree with Eric, the data was surly Erased when the Drives Map Scheme was changed from Apple Partition Map to GUID Partition Table.

In addition to MacFileRecovery you might also try:

Boomerang Data Recovery Software for Windows and Mac OS X

Mac Recovery Software- Recover Mac Drive- Apple Mac Data Recovery- Data Recovery Mac

Mac Data Recovery | Data Recovery Mac | Mac Data Recovery Software Tool: Recover Apple Mac Data

if the data has not been over-written?

Dennis

Jul 24, 2011 11:25 AM in response to Bwass

I had the EXACT same issue last night.

Today, I downloaded Disk Drill and it is scanning and recovering my lost files from my external hard drive.

http://www.cleverfiles.com/partition-recovery.html

I thought I was going to have a heart attack when none of my files showed up on my Finder and I did not have a clue what I was going to do as my hard drive has practically my whole life on there!

As we speak, disk drill is in the process of scanning my hard drive and locating lost files.

Next step is to recover the files..

Estimated Time Remaining: 3h 20m

I will let you know if this was fully successful. It looks like it wil be though so I say you do what I'm doing and start recovering!

😍

Jun 13, 2012 11:51 PM in response to Bwass

For whatsoever reason your external drive partition data is lost due to accidental deletion, formatting, file system corruption & alike reasons it recovery is possible in all cases with the use of advanced mac data recovery software that efficiently performs mac drive recovery. It really helped me retrieve my lost data with ease and i would recommend it to all . Know more about it here - http://www.macharddriverecovery.com

External Drive Partition, Lost Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.