Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

volume icon stuck in middle of screen?

Out of the blue there is a volume icon stuck in the middle of the screen of my 3gs iphone. I didn't make any changes to the phone. This speaker picture stays on all the time, no matter what I do. It is an overlay on top of everthing, making it difficult to use the keyboard, text, everything has this picture of the speaker in a gray box right in the middle of the screen. Does anyone know what it is, and how I can get rid of it? Thank you for your help!

iPhone 3GS

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 4:36 PM

15 replies

Jun 12, 2011 4:47 PM in response to Eric Ross

Thank you! I don't know why it came on, but that worked to make it go away,Eric. I hope it never does that again, I could not figure out what it was trying to tell me. Do you know of any reasons that stays on, even though the ringer volume is adjusting up and down correctly. It's a mystery to me. Thanks again, I meant to hit "correct answer" btw....

Dec 5, 2011 2:41 PM in response to wyattfr

Randomly, out of the blue there is the volume button stuck in the middle of the screen. However when i gently tap the phone on my hand, or push the button up or down, it disappears for a bit. but once the phone is locked, and unlocked again it comes up? Also, now when i'm on the phone i can hear this crackly sound in the background. Nothing has changed to my phone whatsoever. I tried the tips that you gave above, and still nothing has changed? the volume symbol still appears when it feels like it, and the crackling continues...
Please help?

Mar 10, 2014 10:05 AM in response to f8ster

I am having the same issue on two different devices, an iphone 5 (7.0.6) andf an iphone 5s (7.0.6). The volume icon appears on the display stuck on maximum volume. The volume buttons on both devices are not stuck. The only way this can be cleared is to turn off the phone and then turn it back on. This thread has been open since Jun 2011 and still no fix. This may seem like a small issue but it is frustrating when you are unable to type as the keypad is covered.

May 5, 2015 7:37 AM in response to wyattfr

I've just started experiencing this (iPhone 6, iOS 8.0.3). I noticed however it always happens when I open a specific program (a radio station), so the issue might be more on how the application is coded than on the device (even so that if I close the program all is solved).

Of course it'd be nice if applications weren't able to "hijack" our display like that forcing, but that's a whole other issue.

Sep 1, 2015 3:09 PM in response to wyattfr

MY first iPhone did this and I ended up trading it out, they replaced it, I was just under the warranty. Now my second one is doing it and guess what, it IS the volume key from the pressure on the case! I pulled it back and it immediately went off...i have the Otter box. I have reset my phone numerous times, so glad it was an easy fix.

Jul 6, 2016 2:10 PM in response to gensym

Addendum which perhaps makes this more useful a contribunion:

After turning off the iPhone, it refused to be turned on again.

I eventually had the idea to try to connect the power cord (plugged in to supply current.

That indeed resuscitated the device.

(and, just for the records, the battery level was 72%..)

volume icon stuck in middle of screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.