Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing music from my Microsoft Zune into iTunes?

Hey-so I am new to the Mac community. I bought my first iMac this past week. I have had a 32gb Microsoft Zune for years and I have quite a lot of music on it. So is it possible to move the music from my Zune into my iTunes library? If so how would I go about it? I already tried plugging in my Zune player to my iMac and nothing happened.

iPod classic

Posted on Jun 12, 2011 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 8:08 PM

I figured it out! I simply put the music files from my old computer on to my flash drive, stuck it in my iMac and clicked and dragged them in to iTunes. The only ones that are not working are the WMA files which are used specifically in Microsoft so now I will be working on a solution for that..

7 replies

Jun 13, 2011 8:32 PM in response to tarafromtucson

Go to iTunes > Preferences > General > Import Settings: Import using:

User uploaded file

Any files already in MP3 AAC or AIFF will play with no issue as you have already discovered. Delete the WMA files but do not choose to move them to the Trash. Instead, import them a second time after having made the Import Settings as shown; they will be converted this time. There are third-party apps that will do the job also (such as Audacity) but you can accomplish your goal with iTunes.

Jun 14, 2011 2:18 AM in response to tarafromtucson

There seems to be a glitch with this method for you (even though it ought to work as outlined). Be sure that there isn't a step you have left out. You can accomplish the same task by using Garage Band, although it will be a painstaking operation if you have several gigabytes of files. You can open Garage Band and make a new project; drag one WAV file into the arrange window and allow it to be prepared; there is no need to play it through. Go to "Share" in the GarageBand menu bar and select 'Send Song to iTunes'. You will then be asked to select a file format; choose MP3 as the safest format because you want the song to be played not only in iTunes but (probably) in an Apple portable device as well, such as an iPod or iPhone. The application will export the song to iTunes into a Playlist under your name. As stated earlier, this would be very laborious with several gigabytes worth of files but it will work; perhaps you could do only a few albums at a time. I stated earlier that Audacity would also do the job. It is an open-source (free download) project available from this URL:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/beta_mac

It would be every bit as painstaking as the GarageBand method but since the standard iTunes operation isn't working for you at least it provides a workaround. There might be someone else in this forum who could provide insight that is missing here.

Importing music from my Microsoft Zune into iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.