Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All Bookmarks Bar BM's load as tabs at launch

I tried adding a few extensions to Safari and now each time I launch the program it loads every one of my bookmarks bar bookmarks as a tab.

I think the offending extenson was Glims, which I've since removed with it's uninstaller. There were 3 others, which I dragged to trash from the Library/Safari/Extensions folder. I also trashed the extensions preferences file. So my extensions folder is empty. Rebooted the machine, but the problem persists.

Every bookmarks bar BM gets loaded as a tab upon launch.

Maybe my best bet is to trash and reinstall Safari. What's the best way to do so without loosing my bookmarks and stored passwords?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 3:57 AM

Doublecheck your Safari preferences. In the general preferences, What do you have selected for "New Windows Open With:"?

(It's possible to set that so the items in the bookmark bar are opened in tabs when you launch a new window, which is why I want to check this.)

6 replies

Jun 13, 2011 3:53 PM in response to dumb kid

FWIW, there is an extension I really like for Firefox that reduces Bookmark Bar bookmarks to favicons. This really allows one to fit more on the bar. Is there a similar extension for Safari?

Not in the official extensions gallery, I'm afraid. (I did some Googling as well, and saw that lots of folks have asked for that functionality for a while now, but I didn't find an "off-gallery" extension or plugin either. This may just be a reflection on my research skills rather than indicating that there's no such extension/plug-in, though.)

Not sure how "requests for new extensions" works (or if it does work at all), but it probably can't hurt to put through a feature request for favicons in the bookmarks bar via the Safari product feedback form:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html

Nov 14, 2011 4:26 PM in response to b noir

I can only second that - Safari not displaying bookmarks in the bookmark bar as favicons but only as text is extremely annoying. As a matter of fact, it's the only thing that prevents me from switching to Safari - I want to be able to navigate to my most-frequently used sites by clicking an icon once... not by reading the title of the bookmark or any other method.

All other browsers have this, why not Safari? If it's because of design or looks, let me tell you that it is a usability killer.

Thanks Safari-Team for taking this into consideration...!

All Bookmarks Bar BM's load as tabs at launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.