Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"NETWORK CHANGE DETECTED" - Broadband dropping out

About 4 to 5 weeks ago I started finding my broadband connection would just 'drop out'.

I'd lose it. No email or internet browsing, nothing.

It might come back on it's own, it might not.

Generally I'd run diagnoistic's, and some time sit would come back immediately, some times I'd have to run it a few times

Sometimes I'd give up and walk away.

Often I get the message "NETWORK CHANGE DETECTED", and the connection would re-establish itself.

It may run for minutes, and I'd be back at square one, or it could run OK for days.

All extremely frustrating.

I've read past posts and see that this problem has come up before, but I cannot find a "do this to fix it" resposnse.

Seeing that it's happened to others, I'm hoping it's something Apple can advise on.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to fix it. I'm really at my wits end.

I've been in contact with my internet provider who give me the usual answers.

Mac-Mini (2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo) running OS 10.6.7

8Gb Ram

Netcomm Modem NB6PLus4W

Broadband ran fine from Late December 2010 until mid may 2011. No idea whats cause this issue.

Thanks all.

Robert

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.7), Netcomm NB6PLus4w Modem

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 6:14 AM

31 replies

Jun 13, 2011 3:21 PM in response to phase52010

Thanks for the excellent feedback. Lots of information I wasn't aware of.

Sig; is it likely to be the modem, and if so what do you think could be causing it? Just a faulty modem?

I'm in Australia where you buy your own modem, which I did, it's a model recomended by my supply TPG.

Having to run out and buy a new one is not something I want to do until all other options have been exhaust, especially if the problem happens again with the new modem.

Greg; sorry, I should have said. The Mac-Mini connects to the modem via an ethernet cable; the modem to a filter and the filter to the phone line. (And thanks for the link, it should come in handy).

I suppose I'm really asking what does "Network Change Detetced" actually mean? (Beyond the obvious). It's a message issued by the operating system, so it must mean "something" has caused a change and that should be somehting that has a cause. And the cause should hve a solution. Someone at Apple must know what it means.

Jun 23, 2011 7:07 PM in response to phase52010

Hi - really frustrating that consumers have to troubleshoot their own purchases. Apple pick up your act - this is why people are leaving PC world in droves!

I have experienced exactly the same problems and in the same time frame as phase52010. I'm in Sydney on iiNet with a Billion wireless router. So I would not run out and buy a new modem! iiNet keep telling me it's the router/modem but I find it hard to believe. I've ordered another wireless router but really because it has VPN throughput - unrelated so I won't go into it. I'll drop a note once I've installed the new router but I am feeling that this is not a router issue.

Just downloading an update now 24-June-11 so see if that makes a difference?

Jun 28, 2011 2:31 AM in response to phase52010

Well I'm still getting the same problem.

My DSL2+ connection with TPG just drops out at random times for no real reason, and may come back within a few minutes or hours or longer. Usually I have to go through network diagnostics routine until I get "Network Change Detected" and my connection comes back. And then we';re back at the beginning of the post. May stay connected, may drop out.

This is frustrating because, after doing EVERYTHING short of buying a new modem, I really am just NOT SURE if it's my ISP, my phone line, or something in the Apple OS system. And if it is something to do with OS 10.6.7 or a security upgarde or whatever, I'd like to know. I don't want to keep going back to my ISP if it isn't them.

If anyone at Apple has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

Many Thanks.

Robert.

Jun 28, 2011 3:20 PM in response to phase52010

Hi Robert,

I doubt anyone from Apple actually reads these threads. Tried to raise a support ticket the other day but even that has been a massive failure.

Trying to find some things in common with you to pin-point the problem:

1. Location - Australia
  2. ISP - iiNET / TPG
  3. Wireless Router - Billion / ?
  4. Mac Version 10.6.8
  5. MacKeeper - recently installed

If you go to Network settings in Preferrences, and close the padlock this might improve things? I tried it the other day but haven't had long enough tme at that connection point to have a real indictation of success.

Jun 30, 2011 5:03 PM in response to Vivere Somnium

Hi Vivere;

Things in common: (?)

- I'm in AUSTRALIA

- I use TPG

- I have a NETCOMM NB6Plus4W ADSL2+ Modem (4 ADSL2+ ports & a Wireless connection. Wireless not in use).

- I upgraded to OS 10.6.8 just a few days ago. (Having problems well before, and after upgrade).

- I installed MACKEEPER about the middle of May which is about the time my problems started. (I contacted the people at MacKeeper who state: "Mackeeper is not designed to change any network settings.").

I've NEVER locked the System Preferences in the past as I'm the only person with access to my mac.

I di as you suggested and locked them. Since which I haven't had my internet connection drop out. Now, it's only beeen a couple of days, and I've had periods of uninterrupted connection like that in the past, so I'm not willing to say "that's the fix" just yet. I'll give it another week or two to be sure.

It'll be rather odd if that's the case and it leaves me wondering if MacKeeper does access the SPs in some way that might cause the dropout when the SPs aren't locked.

I'll moniter and report back in a week.

Robert.

Jul 1, 2011 3:08 AM in response to phase52010

phase52010 - Join http://www.whirlpool.net.au & post your issue in the TPG forum, and someone from TPG will give you some advice directly and troubleshoot your line, if your problem isn't answered by the Australian Internet Community first.

They like it if you call support before posting though.

When you do post, be polite, and refrain from using negative comments. That will get you the quickest response.

It's a BRILLIANT tool for Aussie Internet if support fails you, and they will be able to resolve your problem pretty quickly.

Jul 1, 2011 3:28 AM in response to AussieDJ

Hi AussieDJ;

Thanks for the input. I often visit whirlpool.

I am talking through the problem over the phone with a TPG representitive, and have been doing so for a week.

I posted and they responded and we arranged a time to talk on the phone. (I don't have a mobile).

I never yell, scream or abuse people on help desks because I know they are doing their best.

I was in IT for many years and know what it's like to be on the other end of the phone. I also NEVER use negative comments when postings problems, as you may have noticed from reading my above posts, even when I get a "standard form response" initially.

Robert.

Jul 1, 2011 4:05 AM in response to phase52010

This is interesting I just put up my first question to the community also with these things in common

• I am in Australia
  • with TPG on ADSL2+
  • I have a netcomm NB14WN wireless router
  • mac version 10.6.7 then updated to 10.6.8 - hasnt made any difference.

since I joined with TPG I have also had at first very slow and unreliable speeds (worse than dial up) and several nights a week it would repeatedly disconnect and the network change detected.

So since numerous discussions with tpg and several 'rebooting' everything they had a level 2 engineeer check and update the servers and now with the ethernet cable it is stable and fast ( same bandwidth and speed test every time). What I still have at this stage is an unreliable wireless connection and we have checked for interference in the house etc and now they have finally sent me a replacement modem to see if that makes a difference (should pick it up tomorrow). The problem is that some days the wireless is fine and somedays it isn't. It played up again two hours ago - put on the ethernet cable and it was fine, took the cable off a couple of hours ago and the wireless is fine at present whilst I am typing this......So will let you know how the other wireless router goes - apparently they check this one before they send it out but this one is from Netcomm also - I wonder if it is that - my dad and I looked it up on the net and it only sells for $100AUS which is pretty cheap - when I touch it underneath it is also very hot.

Jul 1, 2011 7:03 AM in response to AussieDJ

There is one other thing you can buy for faster broadband, it only costs $36Billion - they call it the NBN. Don't worry the Mining and Carbon Tax will pay for it.

Sorry not really the place for a political jab but couldn't resist.

Back to the NCD problem, I have been experiencing exactly the same issues on iiNet so I doubt it's router/modem or IP. But welcome all this feedback to try and at least isolate the problem to Mac OS or other software issue.

For the people that have just joined the thread - have you installed MacKeeper recently?

Thanks,

A

Jul 1, 2011 7:09 AM in response to Vivere Somnium

Vivere Somnium wrote:

I have been experiencing exactly the same issues on iiNet...

Isolation test = Unplug anything that plugs into the phone line, including filters, except your modem.

See of that works, and slowly, 1 by 1 plug items back in.

Have you got Alarm System plugged in?

What are you modem stats?

What is your speed profile on?

Have you called 24/7 Support - 08-9214-2222

"NETWORK CHANGE DETECTED" - Broadband dropping out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.