Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost com.apple.dock.plist

Since owning my imac I have managed to accidently remove the download folder on the dock several times. I was told to delete the com.apple.dock.plist,

and the com.apple.dock.db files from the user/Library/Preferences folder. I would then log out and back on and that this would recreate the default dock with a new plist file. This has worked well in the past.

Well, I did manage again to remove the download folder. When I went to do the above, I was not able to locate these two files in the preferences folder.

I have tried verifying the disk, but everythings comes back ok. I have searched for these files using spotlight, but haven't been able to locate them.

I do have backup systems in place, but these only go back to January, and the files were evidently gone before then. Can somebody tell me what I need to do to get these files back, and to have the download folder in the dock?

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 10:27 AM

Shelby,

Placing the download folder in the dock is as simple as Dragging it in Finder from your home folder to the right side of the Dock. It's just an alias to the actual folder. Deleting those other files is unnecessary.

Regards,

Captfred

2 replies

Jun 13, 2011 10:35 AM in response to Shelby1975

The correct way to replace a folder in the Dock (which is only an alias, not the actual folder) is to find the folder in your Home folder and drag it to the desired place in the Dock (to the right of the divider or below it if the Dock is at the side).

Don't release the folder icon until the other items move out of the way for it.

As for the prefs files, as long as the Dock works normally don't worry about them; they should be regenerated when you do something like putting another item in the Dock or changing the Stack/folder settings for items etc.

Lost com.apple.dock.plist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.