Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to purchase free apps even though no credit card on Apple ID

Hello

We have set up an Apple ID with no credit card attached. Yet when I use this to purchase my first free app, the prompts take me through the 'This is the first time you have used your ID to purchase' screens where I accept disclaimers etc; then it asks me to confirm my details, including credit card details. As this Apple ID has no credit card details, then it asks me to input some. I can only choose Visa or Mastercard; the 'none' option is not available.

Yet when I look at the instructions on how to set up an Apple ID with no credit card, you normally get asked to choose between 'Visa', 'Mastercard', or 'None'.

It seems we have set up this Apple ID before the 'None' option existed, yet we've managed to set it up with blank credit card fields.

Now it seems to be 'stuck' in credit-card land.

Is there any way to revert it to a non-credit card Apple ID so that I can buy free apps?

Any help appreciated

iPod touch, iOS 4.3.2

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 7:00 PM

Sorry all - I have solved this already

It seems you are enforced to log in by inputting a credit card; however once you have signed in, you then have the option to revert the ID back to a completely 'non-credit card' Apple ID as per

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1918

So you just need to supply a credit card for the first time, then wipe it out immediately after logging in successfully

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 13, 2011 7:00 PM in response to cdhb service

Sorry all - I have solved this already

It seems you are enforced to log in by inputting a credit card; however once you have signed in, you then have the option to revert the ID back to a completely 'non-credit card' Apple ID as per

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1918

So you just need to supply a credit card for the first time, then wipe it out immediately after logging in successfully

Unable to purchase free apps even though no credit card on Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.