Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why do my deleted emails keep coming back?

I've been using Mail for a short time, after having used Thunderbird. I have multiple copies of my emails - sent and received. But when I try to delete them, they keep showing up again. I have it set to permanently delete trashed messages when I quit mail, but they keep coming. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 10:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 2:49 AM

Have you set it to delete the messages in the mail server also or are you keeping the old messages in the server? If you keep them in the server, then they will be downloaded again the next time you sign in.

there is a checkbox in Mail > Preferences > Accounts > Advanced
"Remove copy from server after retrieving message".

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2011 2:49 AM in response to dianegoa

Have you set it to delete the messages in the mail server also or are you keeping the old messages in the server? If you keep them in the server, then they will be downloaded again the next time you sign in.

Jun 14, 2011 5:53 AM in response to Sonicray

Sonicray wrote:

That's incorrect, whether or not you keep them on the server they should not reappear after deletion, immediately if they are local or after the next mailbox sync if they are on the server, assuming this is an iMap account, if it's POP they are downloaded to the local machine (unless 'remove from server' is unselected) in which case they will stay until removed from the explicitly.

Can't answer this question without knowing email type, POP, iMap or Exchange

Jun 26, 2011 12:45 PM in response to dianegoa

I can't believe this problem has been going on for so long with virtually no response from Apple. My wife has the iPhone 4 and has been constantly having issues with deleted Hotmail email returning to her inbox on the phone. Been through all the settings, numerous trip to Verizon, deleted hotmail account numerous times to no avail. Here is the fix for Hotmail... Apparently POP3 is a challenge for iPnone

http://www.sirslur.com/2010/09/01/hotmail-has-imap-and-works-on-iphone/

why do my deleted emails keep coming back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.