Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting iTunes Library

My MacBook Pro has been acting a bit odd lately, so before I upgrade to Lion in July I plan to first do a fresh install of Snow Leopard.. In preparation for this, I would like to know how I can export my iTunes Library. I see from within iTunes there is an option to backup to disc, but my library is rather large and I would prefer to have a single file I can backup online rather than 10+ DVDs. If this requires 3rd party software, can someone point me in the direction of what would work best?

iPhone 4, iOS 4, MacBook Pro (5,5) Mac OS X 10.6.7

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 9:43 AM

You should always maintain a backup of your primary drive.

I plan to first do a fresh install of Snow Leopard

WIth Snow Leopard, you can simply boot from the Install DVD and reinstall over the current system and all your user data will be maintained. You don't need to erase/format first.

FYI: You can backup iTunes by copying the entire /Music/iTunes/ folder.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2011 9:43 AM in response to vince730

You should always maintain a backup of your primary drive.

I plan to first do a fresh install of Snow Leopard

WIth Snow Leopard, you can simply boot from the Install DVD and reinstall over the current system and all your user data will be maintained. You don't need to erase/format first.

FYI: You can backup iTunes by copying the entire /Music/iTunes/ folder.

Jun 14, 2011 11:53 AM in response to vince730

Most likely it would fix it. And you would not lose any data/have to set everything up again.

If it doesn't fix the problems, you can always erase then install.

Have you tried first booting from your Install DVD, running Disk Utilities, then Repair the disk and Repair permsisions?

Whatever you do, you should prerform a backup before proceeding.

Are you running Time Machine?

Exporting iTunes Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.