Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 and Bluetooth problems

I just replaced my 3Gs with an iPhone 4 a couple of weeks ago ... Big mistake.

As I have found out from reading many, many other iPhone 4 owners comments .... we are ALL having Bluetooth issues.

I called Apple to find out when they expect a fix to the system and a update to help us iPhone owners out?

Was told that they support the iPhone, however they only support Bluetooth when you use an Apple Bluetooth earpiece.

Not sure what their thinking is? However if they think I am spending $600 for their iPhone 4 and then going to go and spend more money just to buy their earpiece to get support ..................... NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Think I will just return the iPhone 4 and go back to my 3Gs.

iPhone 4, iOS 4.3.2, Bluetooth issues

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 2:55 PM

5 replies

Jun 14, 2011 3:11 PM in response to aka.nargs

My iPhone 4 works fine with a $12 generic non-Apple headset. What Apple meant was that they would only provide troubleshooting for an Apple headset, not that you must purchase one to get troubleshooting help. Why don't you try contacting the manufacturer of the headset for assistance?. It makes more sense to call them since that's the device you're having issues with, espcially since they'r'e more likely to know what it takes to work with an iPhone more than Apple would know. Also, what "issue" are you having? Are you unable to pair? Do you not know the pass code? (try 0000, all bluetooth devices w/o a keyboard have a code of 0000).

Aug 5, 2011 10:29 AM in response to aka.nargs

My iPhone 4 is paired with my 2011 Subaru WRX car stereo via Bluetooth. When it works, it works fine for both music and phone. However, most of the time, when I start the car, the pairing fails. The car says "no device" and iPhone Bluetooth is searching forever. I have "forgotten" and paired more times than I can count, it continues. The only "solution" is to turn off iPhone Bluetooth and turn it on again. The iPhone usually connects quickly after that. Hardly convenient to do every time I get into the car, or while driving.

Now, before you tell me to call Subaru:

1. I did and they say they have numerous reports of iPhone problems;

2. Search the web and you will find numerous reports of this problem with other car brands, and other devices;

3. When I first bought the car, I had a Blackberry and it just worked;

4. I have three other Bluetooth devices paired with the iPhone and they all exhibit this issue to some degree.

So, it's clear that iPhone Bluetooth doesn't work very well. There don't appear to be any apple.com Bluetooth troubleshooting notes for this issue, just notes about headsets. Apple apparently hinted that iOS 4.1 would fix it, but it didn't. I have today's latest version, 4.3.5.

I finally called Apple. After getting past the "your free phone support has ended" by claiming my one year warranty rights, they put me through to iPhone support (800 275 2273). They claimed ignorance of the problem and sent me a document that purportedly was troubleshooting Bluetooth. I was sceptical and with good reason. When the article arrived, it referred to USB and cradle connections.

I'm pretty pi**ed about this and Apple's failing to stand behind their product with a fix, or at least an acknowledgement. It's a great device otherwise but I may go back to a Blackberry.

Sep 6, 2011 9:56 AM in response to stevenfromwaterloo

I'm having the same issues with my 2010 Mazda 3 Sport. It has worked 99% of the time but with the same issues you have with not connecting at times. But starting yesterday it stopped connecting and I've tried so many solutions. It's like the car and phone had a divorce and want nothing to do with the other! I might have to go back and use my Nexus One. 🙂

I tested my iPad and it paired instantly with the car. So it has to be this iphone 4 that just stopped working with the car. I did try to pair it with the new mac mini and though it found each other, the iphone says not connected. Ugh.

Oct 15, 2011 5:42 AM in response to stevenfromwaterloo

Yep, I'm pretty pi**ed about this issue too. My Ford F350, which worked just fine with my LG phone, will not pair with my iPhone 4 unless I toggle bluethooth off/on. The fact that my LG phone worked does not completely vindicate Ford's SYNC in this issue but, it does say that both Ford and LG followed the protocol correctly or both of them got it wrong in the same way (i.e. 2 wrongs made a right). My F350 cost 500 times more than my iPhone. Any guesses which one I will replace?

iPhone 4 and Bluetooth problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.