Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphones not detected in Windows 7

Hi, until about 2 weeks ago I have had no sound problems with my 17" 2011 Macbook Pro. I use Windows 7 64 Ultimate via Bootcamp.

Suddenly the computer no longer detects if headphones are plugged in or not. I have to manually use the sound device settings to switch between headphones and speakers. This was working fine until fairly recently.

Have applied all the latest updates on both the Mac OS and Windows sides.

Appreciate the help

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 4:56 PM

14 replies

Apr 10, 2012 11:49 AM in response to The hatter

Ok, but what do you do when all of this fails (installing Realtek, Cirrus or both) and the person is still sitting there with sound coming out of the speakers but not the headphones? Headphones are recognized when plugged in as some kind of "line In" object and recognized when they are unplugged. I have been searching for an answer to this question for 2 weeks now and although some of the solutions are different, the results are the same, the headphones that are good, both sets that have been tried, do not work.

Feb 27, 2013 9:38 AM in response to ehays.

Hi Guys, same things here, I've reinstall my system with seven and the new Bootcamp 4 from Lion ... and .. so ugly, headphones doesn't works ... so why to do a new bootcamp if the older works well ...

And in this forum ... no solution ... thank you apple for you help ... very much !!!! 😟

My next computer will be a TRUE PC ! 😠

Mar 1, 2013 7:30 AM in response to Skyrickk

Even though this is a resurrected two year old thread I'll jump in.

Get your Lion installation working correctly before attempting Bootcamp and reinstall of Windows. You said the headphones do not work with Lion. So you have done something wrong with your Lion install or you have a hardware issue.

After you get Lion and sound working then try Bootcamp Assistant making sure you download and install the Lion Bootcamp Windows Support software.

Mar 1, 2013 9:34 AM in response to Skyrickk

Ok the SMC / PRAM process works to revover the headphone on OSX Lion, pfiou! 🙂

I try under Windows 7 now & let you know

FYI :

Reset the SMC > Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Unplug the computer's power cord.

3. Wait fifteen seconds.

4. Attach the computer's power cord.

5. Wait five seconds, then press the power button to turn on the computer.

Then the PRAM > About NVRAM and PRAM

1. Shut down the computer.

2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

3. Turn on the computer.

4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

6. Release the keys.

Mar 1, 2013 10:16 AM in response to jkingx

Wow - I'd forgotten all about this. Well I "solved" it by giving in, dumping bootcamp and running Win 7 in Parallels. After 1.5 years I've got to say it's the "best of all worlds" computing experience i've ever had (well since my VIC-20, of course). Seriously though - alt-tabbing between apps and not knowing/caring if they are OS X or Win is great and with the unixeque foundation of OS X I don't get those occasional pangs to install Ubuntu or whatever.

Completely worth it!

John

Headphones not detected in Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.