6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2011 5:56 AM by Tuza
Tuza Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm having trouble with placing a background movie in live type.  I encoded a 5 second movie in HDV 1080i60... I've set my project properties to HDV1080i60 and when I place the movie in the background it squeezes it to 4:3.  Am I missing something?  Thanks for any help!

John

17" MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)
  • 1. Re: Placing Background move issue - Live type
    Christina Rodriguez Level 4 Level 4 (1,360 points)

Is your Live type project 16:9 as well? Or is is 4:3.... If it is 4:3, then yes you are missing something....

• 2. Re: Placing Background move issue - Live type
    MikeyBouchereau Level 1 Level 1 (30 points)

Your HDV clip is 4x3. its 1440x1080 Final Cut Pro does an anamorphic stretch to make is 16x9. Run your clip through compressor make a prores file (or any video codec you like, such as PhotoJpeg, AIC, whatever) but go to the Geometry room and set your dimensions to 1920x1080 with a 1.0 pixel aspect ration. That should fix your issue. Livetype has all sorts of problems with interpret footage. The application is a legacy app and support is lacks on it.

For compressor setting look at the attached image

Compressor1.png

• 3. Re: Placing Background move issue - Live type

Thanks Christina.  I've set my project properties to 1080i60 and encoded my video using compressor and using a Quicktime conversion.  they both output the correct file.  my canvas in LIve Type is set to the 1080i60 but when I place the movie it snaps to what looks like a 4:3 format.

When I check my project props after placement, the size switches to "custom"  but still retains the 1440 x 1080 width and height.

Thanks for your quick response to my issue by the way... I 'm still not clear as to what is happening.  I was able to use the "place" options instead of "place background movie"....my canvas stayed at the 16:9 ratio but my video was somewhat narrower.  I used the transform capabilities (the handles on the placed video) of the video and the canvas as a guide and just sized it to the right ratio.

Hope this isn't too complicated of a reply

and Thank again for the reply

• 4. Re: Placing Background move issue - Live type

Awesome!  That worked great.  Thank you so much Mikey!  the compressor screen grab was very helpful. I really do appreciate you expertise and for taking the time to help me.

Sincerely,

John

• 5. Re: Placing Background move issue - Live type
    Christina Rodriguez Level 4 Level 4 (1,360 points)

Hi John, you should mark the answer as solved to give credit to the appropriate person who helped you AND so persons with similar issues in the future know there was a fix to their issue.

• 6. Re: Placing Background move issue - Live type

Thanks again Christina.  I've checked the "correct answer" for Mikey Bouchereau and wrote him a reply.  Will that do it?  Thanks for your help