Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine

I have a 27 iMac.

I just bought a a 500 GB external hard disk, and hooked it up with Time Machine.

There is only 300 GB used on my computer, but after only one month, the Time Machine is about filled and starting to delete the oldest files.

What happened? How can I precent this?

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 6:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 7:34 PM

A 500 MB Time Machine drive is next to nothing to be honest. At a minimum you should have a drive the size of your internal HD. To be honest it sound like TM is operating perfectly if you add or change data frequently. You can go into TM preferences and choose what you DON'T want it to backup. Another suggestion is using TimeMachineEditor to set how frequently it backs up. For example I have mine set to backup 4x per day instead of 24x per day.

If you haven't already I'd recommend reading both:

Time Machine FAQs

Time Machine Troubleshooting

Roger

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2011 7:34 PM in response to sirgunther

A 500 MB Time Machine drive is next to nothing to be honest. At a minimum you should have a drive the size of your internal HD. To be honest it sound like TM is operating perfectly if you add or change data frequently. You can go into TM preferences and choose what you DON'T want it to backup. Another suggestion is using TimeMachineEditor to set how frequently it backs up. For example I have mine set to backup 4x per day instead of 24x per day.

If you haven't already I'd recommend reading both:

Time Machine FAQs

Time Machine Troubleshooting

Roger

Jun 14, 2011 8:50 PM in response to rkaufmann87

1. Thanks.

2. Lamentably, getting a bigger one not an option.

3. I found two programs: TimeMachineEditor and TimeMachineScheduler.

You obviously prefer Editor?

4. I mainly just wanted a big, external, drag-and-drop saving device, but when I found out all the Time Machine can, I availed myself. However, if need be, I can settle for my original intent.

5. What about manually turning it off, and turning on only once a day or week, as needed?

Thanks.

Jun 15, 2011 2:42 PM in response to sirgunther

sirgunther wrote:

Of course you do not know, but what are the odds that the new Lion operating system fixes this hourly-update problem?

Would it behoove me to wait a month before downloading TimeMachineEditor?

With any computer problem it should be fixed before performing any type of upgrade. Thinking a new version of OS X is going to fix an existing software or hardware issue is foolish. In your case as I have repeatedly said buy a larger HD and begin using Time Machine Editor if you want TM to backup less frequently.

Jun 15, 2011 5:54 PM in response to sirgunther

Note that Time Machine routinely "thins" expired backups, per the schedule on the Preferences panel.

That's so it can keep a few backups for a longer time.

But if it's routinely making too-large backups, see #D4 in Time Machine - Troubleshooting for some common culprits, and ways to see exactly what's getting backed-up.

It should not be necessary to reduce the frequency of backups in most cases, and Time Machine will protect you best if you let it do them hourly.

Jun 15, 2011 6:54 PM in response to sirgunther

All sorts of things will go wrong.

For one thing, you cannot manually add files to a Time Machine backup.

For another, if you just drag & drop what you remember, you'll forget things, and all sorts of oher things will be missed.

First, is Time Machine deleting old backups, or just expired ones? How old is your oldest backup, and how much space is available on the TM drive?

Second, assuming it really is near full, you need to figure out why. Take a look at #D4 per my previous post -- that lists some commont causes, and a way to see what's getting backed-up repeatedly.

A 500 GB drive is a bit small to back up 300 GB, but depending on how you use your Mac, it should allow several weeks to many months of backups.

Sep 7, 2011 3:01 AM in response to sirgunther

Running TM manually may be an acceptable solution. If you choose to turn TM off and use a drag and drop approach, you will loose the possibility of choosing amongst different versions of the file you want to restore.

If you can live with this, you might opt for SuperDuper, which will at least make sure that you don't forget anything. It also gives you the added possibility og using your external HD as a start up volume including all the utilities you may have aquired, if/when something goes wrong with your HD, making for easier repairs, not to mention finishing the job you have a deadline on first.

Sep 7, 2011 4:33 PM in response to Kup

Thanks.

I have disabled TM and use it only to save and drop and drag. Initially,TM did backup everything, so I presume, that in the event of catastraphe, it could be to start everything up and running again?

Regardless, I use the TM only for external storage in case of computer meltdown.

I could not find SuperDuper on the Apple downloads page, which causes a little apprehension, but CNET gives it a good review.

Remain pat, or download SuperDuper?

time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.