Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I add more than 4 accounts to Mail.app?

Hello everyone,

This is not a new problem for me. It started when I switched from Panther to Leopard and has continued on with Snow Leopard til now.

I have a variable number of email accounts but usually around 8 at any given time. In Mail.app with Panther and before, I had no problems adding as many accounts as I wanted. That stopped immediately upon upgrading to Leopard.

All my accounts are POP and nothing special. My SMPT server requires authentication and that's it. very simple.

Here's where i think the problem is. We are web developers and have our own server. We also live in the northwoods so for the past 11 years we have co-located our server in Chicago near a main hub.

So 95% of any of the addresses are coming from the same mailserver. That's all I can think of.

If I add a 5th account to Mail, it still checks mail regularly but one random account will not get checked and will be left with that litle grey circle with either a tilde symbol "~" or an exclamation point in a triangle.

If I add a 6th account 2 random accounts will not receive mail, and so on.

Also when I say "random" it's not totally random. There's a better chance for the accounts at the end of the list not to receive mail than for the accounts at the top of the list. But any account might not get mail at a certain time.

Does anyone have any ideas? Why would Apple suddenly restrict the number of addresses that can be received from a particular server?

Thanks - GL

Mail.app-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6), Mac OS 10.6 and above

Posted on Jun 14, 2011 7:45 PM

1 reply

Jun 14, 2011 7:55 PM in response to Gregg Luhring

I don't use mail but I doubt it has a 4 account restriction. If it actually does have a 4 account restriction it is a bad program and disregard the remainder of my post.

I think the clue is that 95% of the accounts hit the same email server. If I had to guess I'd say you are hitting the email server too fast, not waiting enough time between checks. By the time you get 4 accounts actively checking email, the 5th and subsequent accounts time out at the server. Try increasing the time between auto checking email for each account.

Just speculation on my part.

Why can't I add more than 4 accounts to Mail.app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.