Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail signature issues

in mail my signature is the correct size until I add a link into the body of the message.....then it is sent to my clients as a huge signature!

Why is this happening!

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 8:43 AM

11 replies

Jun 15, 2011 11:26 AM in response to MLadd

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I am not very good with this kinda thing, so I am unable to insert a html thingy as my signature, so I just have a regular signature......just text.... the problem is that within my signature my website doesn't come up as a link... just plain text.... which isn't looking good....

When typing a message;

I can highlight the text within the signature and turn it into a link or I can obviously add a link elsewhere within my text...... but as soon as I do that when the recipient gets my email, the signature has now doubled in size!

The text within the email is regular size and the signature is twice the size! Which obviously looks stupid!

However when there are no links everything matches in size! very strange

Jul 6, 2011 5:11 PM in response to EmmaLWebb

I'm having the exact same issue, and so far haven't found a solution. When I view the signature on my screen, it looks completely normal. However, my recipients see a much larger font (just the signature!), which looks really crappy. When they respond to my email, I'm able to see the enlarged fonts from my original message to them... Really wish I knew how to stop this.

Aug 1, 2011 2:31 AM in response to papalapapp

Yes, there is a solution I just found. Do exactly the following:

- Go to any computer with Microsoft Outlook.

- Create a signature in Microsoft Outlook. Write your signature, edit the fonts, sizes, etc...

- Make sure the font and font size is the same as the one you set in Mail as your default font.(example: Arial 12)

- Save it, and send an email from Outlook with this signature to yourself (the computer where you use Mail)

- Once you've received this email in Mail, select and "copy" the signature

- Go to Mail, and create a new signature

- Paste the signature (the one you sent to yourself from Outlook)

- Make sure that "Use the same message format as the original message." is unchecked !!

Now try to send an email with this signature, open the email in any mail client like Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc... and now the signature should have the same size as the text.

Warning: whenever you want to modify your signature, you have to re-do this entire process. Let's say you want to put a word in Bold in Mail Signature, do not do it, it will screw up everything again. So make sure when you edit your signature in Outlook that it is complete and properly edited.

I know it's not easy, but Apple seems unwilling to solve that MAJOR issue....

Aug 1, 2011 3:19 AM in response to Altazon

Altazon, thanks for that workaround. It works fine! Finally a solution for a reliable signature.

Regarding the text body, I have found out that there is one font and size setting that shows up propperly in Outlook. It is Arial 10 pt. All other settings get messed up, it is only this sole combination that works. So if you select your written text in your outgoing email and set it to Arial 10, it won't be messed up.

Unfortunately it doesn't work if you set that in the default font settings. So we will always have to apply it manually. Therefor I have my default font on Helvetica 12 and before I hit the send button, I apply Arial 10 to the text body. The signature I have set accordingly using your workaround.

Aug 1, 2011 3:27 AM in response to papalapapp

I see. Well, it's quite unbelievable that such a basic feature needs a workaround, using... Microsoft !!!

I've been sending professional emails for 4 months, and I just noticed that they were all wrong... thanks Apple.. :-(

Lucky I found the workaround today, cause it was driving me nuts. I was that close from installing Windows 7 with bootcamp.

Aug 1, 2011 3:47 AM in response to Altazon

Altazon wrote:

I see. Well, it's quite unbelievable that such a basic feature needs a workaround, using... Microsoft !!!

I've been sending professional emails for 4 months, and I just noticed that they were all wrong... thanks Apple.. :-(

Lucky I found the workaround today, cause it was driving me nuts. I was that close from installing Windows 7 with bootcamp.

Same here, but it was about one year until someone told me why my emails look so "different". Pure embarrassment.

Since then I have used Outlook as a second email client. My disappointment was infinite when I found out that Lion didn't fix it.

But at least there is a provisional fix now.

Sep 20, 2013 11:08 AM in response to EmmaLWebb

I can't believe that Apple won't fix this!!!!!! It isn't simply the size that screws up. Links, images and spacing is also affected when an Apple user sends emails to anyone but Apple users. Even between Apple users there are issues when using links and images in the Apple Mail Signature tool. Half of our staff uses Macs and I've created HTML signatures for all of them because it is the only way to ensure that their signatures aren't going to make them look like colossal idiots. But that is not all, when a user tries to alter the beautiful HTML signature that I painstakingly created and uploaded for them via screenshare (thanks Apple for wasting my day), it screws everything up again.

I'm going to try the suggestion to create the signature in Outlook and then import it to Apple. I might be able to do it quicker and avoid a screenshare.

mail signature issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.