Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

modem to switch to time capsules

I have my modem in the basement. I ran a ethernet cable through the floor and to my time capsule that is in my living room. I want to put a switch between them so i can connect an older time capsule to it. I want that in the basement because I have two printers, hard drives and such and don't want it all in the open. I still want to be able to backup to the older time capsule. So, is it possible to have modem to switch to two time capsules? I should note that I tried this with one TC and could not get internet. I have no experience with networking so is this setup possible?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 9:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 10:47 AM

I want to put a switch between them so i can connect an older time capsule to it.

Sorry, but you cannot locate a switch between a modem and a router (Time Capsule). The switch must come after the router on the network, not before it.

The reason for this is that the modem only has one IP address to deliver. If you place a switch between a modem and other Ethernet devices, it will be a matter of chance as to which device receives the IP address. Other devices will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Your network should look like this:

Internet > Modem > Time Capsule > Switch > Other Ethernet devices

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 15, 2011 10:47 AM in response to Chris Shaddock

I want to put a switch between them so i can connect an older time capsule to it.

Sorry, but you cannot locate a switch between a modem and a router (Time Capsule). The switch must come after the router on the network, not before it.

The reason for this is that the modem only has one IP address to deliver. If you place a switch between a modem and other Ethernet devices, it will be a matter of chance as to which device receives the IP address. Other devices will not be able to connect to the Internet.

Your network should look like this:

Internet > Modem > Time Capsule > Switch > Other Ethernet devices

modem to switch to time capsules

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.