Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Letting users find the answers

I was just sent an email that was stating that I was asking for points by suggesting that someone that I had helped out to mark the question as answered.

I am not looking for points to boost up my level.

I am here to find answers for issues that I have as well as help others to get answers that they are looking for. If someone comes to the board to get help with something, they will most likely enter their problem in the search box and see if anyone else has had the same issue. When I do that, I look for the questions that were marked as answered in the hope that the way to fix my problem will be found in that post.

Is there some way to recommend to all users that once their question has been answered or once they have gotten some good suggestions that they mark the post that gave them the information? There are a lot of people that don't know how to do that or don't even know it is an option. By marking the helpful answered posts, users can find the answers to their questions without wading through 20-30 posts that don't have an answer in them.

I am just not sure how else to improve the search for answers without asking or suggesting to a user that once they have gotten an answer for their problem that they mark the post that gave it to them.

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 2:48 PM

24 replies

Jun 15, 2011 2:54 PM in response to D0GG

It's frowned upon, as you have found out, to tell people to mark posts answered or helpful. Many people do this to troll for points, something which is forbidden by the terms of the Communities. As the Terms of Use say:

If you feel the system is not clear to users, please provide feedback to Apple; do not instruct other users unless they ask.

I understand your point, but I'd suggest you just say nothing about such matters in any thread in which you have replied. Otherwise you run the risk of the Hosts taking you to task again.

Regards.

Jun 15, 2011 3:35 PM in response to D0GG

DOGG --

One way to do it, is to respond in the thread --

So glad you found your answer here . . .

Or,

Looks like John's post really helped!

So anyone reading the post will at least have a hint.

The only problem is that it won't have the green check mark indicating solved.

We feel your pain.

Try not to take it personally. Most of us have had a few of those emails.

Jun 15, 2011 7:21 PM in response to TildeBee

Thanks for the reply =) I was feeling a bit picked on when I got the email.

I just wish there was a way to have Apple let users know that marking their question as answered might help other users to fix their problems.

Meh, whacha gonna do? I'll keep on trying to help people out... I like to do it.

Jun 15, 2011 9:06 PM in response to D0GG

I just wish there was a way to have Apple let users know that marking their question as answered might help other users to fix their problems.

Yu just did, Dogg . . .

Everyone who reads this thread, will get your point.

It's important to award points whenever appropriate. It will save others lots of time searching for correct answers.

Jun 16, 2011 6:21 AM in response to D0GG

What Dave said, D0GG.

If you feel the system is not clear to users, please provide feedback to Apple; do not instruct other users unless they ask.

So, if you feel it is not clear, use the "Report abuse " link and tell Apple. It's another way of providing feedback to Apple. (To be clear, I don't do this because it doesn't bother me a whole lot when people don't mark posts as Helpful or Correct Answer; but if it bothers you — and it obviously does — you could do this.)

Jun 16, 2011 8:46 AM in response to D0GG

Well, since the search function here seems to have gone from not-so-good to even more not-so-good-at-all, I'd say most people probably wouldn't be able to find them anyway. It still surprises me when I actually fall for one of the "more like it" column on the right and the post turns out to be from 2005 for a PPC...

And, I actually think the new way the possibilities of marking answers are displayed is "enticing" people to mark more answers; however, it has also resulted in the somewhat humorous result of people marking their own answer which says only "thanks, that worked" as the correct answer....

Personally, I only use the report feature if there really is a violation of the ToU because I feel the hosts are busy enough as it is, so I try to only add important issues to their workload.

Jun 16, 2011 1:42 PM in response to D0GG

Hi,

I know of at least one occasion when a Host marked a post in a thread of mine as the Correct Answer.

As I knew I had not marked the thread in any way I asked what was going on.

A Host admitted that there was facility to mark a Post as the "Correct Answer".
This was during the test period of the new /current Forum Software.

I also don't know if points are awarded.

They did not say when it would be used.

I can imagine some occasions when it might be used:-

1) Very long threads that does have the correct info in there.
2) Short but archived threads that also have the "Correct Answer".

Although the "Report Abuse" (Very silly, uninformative title) area could be used I doubt that the Hosts would follow up on this if it were used.

Asking the Hosts to post the Instructions to mark posts and have points awarded as a consequence is also likely to be viewed and Trolling for points.

The more it gets asked about and the more people post on it the more people will read one of the threads and a consensus on the use of Points will eventually emerge.

This is of course a long game in the scheme of things.

You either need to understand and move on or have a plan about where and when you keep the message going.

User uploaded file
9:42 PM Thursday; June 16, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb( 10.6.7)
 Mac OS X (10.6.7),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jun 16, 2011 1:48 PM in response to babowa

Hi babowa,

And, I actually think the new way the possibilities of marking answers are displayed is "enticing" people to mark more answers; however, it has also resulted in the somewhat humorous result of people marking their own answer which says only "thanks, that worked" as the correct answer....

I had one like that in iChat the other day.
The original Poster had marked the Thread that did help them as Helpful and replied with just "k" and then marked that post as Correct.

Someone else then replied with just "k" again and then posted again asking how they got points.

I did take the time to explain that only the Original Poster can award "Helpfuls"and "Corrects" and that it was the post that was marked and in this case "k" iself was not the actual answer.

<User uploaded file
9:47 PM Thursday; June 16, 2011

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.7),

Jun 17, 2011 11:16 AM in response to babowa

As ~Bee says, I took it to mean an abbreviation of OK.

Using just the letter k in the Apple Communities Search and then limiting it to iChat I found the thread.

As you can see it is seen quite a lot over there.

User uploaded file
7:15 PM Friday; June 17, 2011

 Mac OS X (10.6.7),

Letting users find the answers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.