Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spilt beer on macbook...now acting strange...

Hi all, this is my first post on here so ill confess now that i am new to mac's so be gentle 🙂

I made the fatal mistake of leaving a can of beer next to my macbook and my son knocked it over...almost instantly it shut itself down and refused to come back on.

I left it 3 days and tried again and to my surprise it came back on! brilliant...or so i thought. I now have some odd issues.

1. the clock seems to reset itself, i change it back but everytime i reboot it goes again.

2. airport lost my connection details. i re-entred it and wifi connects but i have no internet. Other devices in the house work fine.

3. The fan seems overly noisey, ive never heard it before it is very noticable now.

4. it seems warm...but im not sure if thats my imagination because i can hear the fan working overtime lol.

So i have done the usual and googled my issues and so far have gone through a process of repairing permissions, resetting PRAM, neither have worked.

Now, in my experience in the past issues like the clock were to do with the system battery needing to be replaced. Could this be the same on my macbook?

Sorry if ive missed anything and thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 4:35 PM

8 replies

Jun 15, 2011 6:39 PM in response to Benson112

The computer's acting strange because it's drunk! (Sorry, I couldn't resist. 😝 )

I left it 3 days and tried again...

For future reference, after spilling something into the computer, you want to immediately try to flush out the liquid, if the liquid is more than plain water. If it is just water, then leaving it alone to dry may work. But other liquids will leave a residue and once the residue dries, it becomes more difficult to clean and fix. (I used to repair cameras and had a number of units come in where it had beer and wine spilled on it. Kahlua is the worst. 😟 If they came in right away, within a couple of hours, there was a good chance. Otherwise, it often was many hours of cleaning by hand. 😢 )

But even "plain" water can have other crud in it so one can't be certain. An acceptable emergency action is to pour isopropyl alcohol to flush out the other liquid. Isopropyl alcohol will dry "clean" unlike most other liquids so is used to for cleaning electronics. You want to use the bottles marked "95%" but you usually can get away with the typical 70% ones. Depending on whether you have some isopropyl alcohol in your cabinet, how much it costs if you had to buy, and your "squirm factor" (a.k.a. courage to possibly do more damage to your equipment,) pouring isopropyl alcohol on the Mac immediately after the beer spilled is what I would have recommended. Normally, I'd be disassembling the computer, then cleaning with isopropyl alcohol, then letting dry before reassembling. Whether you're comfortable with doing that is another matter. For most people, do as Csound1 suggested, and send it for repair immediately.

Jun 16, 2011 4:05 AM in response to Benson112

Do

• Immediately shut down the computer and unplug the power cord.
  • Remove the computer's battery if it's a portable Mac.
  • Disconnect any peripherals (printers, iPods, scanners, cameras, etc.)
  • Lay the computer upside down on paper towels to get as much liquid as possible to drip out.
  • Note what was spilled on your Mac.
  • Bring the computer into Apple store or AASP as soon as possible.

Don't

• Don't try to turn it back on. Liquids can help electrical current move about the components of your Mac in destructive ways.
  • Don't shake the computer (this will only spread the liquid around).
  • Don't use a hair dryer on it (even at a low setting a hair dryer will damage sensitive components).

Spilt beer on macbook...now acting strange...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.