Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I limit the amount of space Time Machine uses?

Right, so the drive I was using for Time Machine had a most lovely volume failure. Somehow, I managed to fix it. The drive itself is fine but I find this all out after I buy a Drobo to replace it with (plenty of other of reasons for buying it, so it's OK).

Anyway, I've transitioned all of my files onto the Drobo and now want to use part of it for Time Machine. However, there's a snag. There are only two ways I know to do this:

1. Partition part of the drive and tell Time Machine to use that. Would work except the guys behind the Drobo specifically say "Don't use your Drobo with Disk Utility. It'll just mess thing sup." So partitioning is out of the question.

2. Time Tamer, a handy little script that does some magic and gives me a Sparse Bundle to use for Time Machine that is twice the size of my internal drive. That would work great. Except I only want it to be 1 TB instead of 2 TBs. I never even come close to filling the drive itself and the last Time Machine backup I had was only 1 TB and I had yet to even fill that after... Oh... Six months or so.

I'm sure there's a way for me to do number two manually but I have no idea how. I'd really apprecaite it if someone could point me in the right direction. Google isn't helping.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), iMac11,3

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 5:02 PM

4 replies

Jun 15, 2011 5:08 PM in response to Doug_S

You cannot limit what TM uses on the drive. You can partition the drive and assign a specific partition as the TM backup drive. If you do this then be sure that partition is at least twice the capacity of the drive it backs up.

You don't pre-size a sparsebundle. It simply expands or contracts as needed. Given sufficient time TM will fill up any drive.

If your Drobo consists of RAIDed drives, then you cannot partition it. If it comes as two separate drives, then use one for backup.

Jun 15, 2011 5:10 PM in response to Doug_S

If you're sticking w/the Drobo, listen to the Drobo people. As long as you're using the drive for TM, you've already listed your options. Want other options? Use another drive.

Basically, TM will use the space at hand, with one caveat. I prefer to follow the TM docs and use a drive that is larger than the drive(s) being backed up. This avoids the quicksand of filling up a TM and running into issues that presents. Using a bigger TM volume allows TM to handily delete oldest backups to make room for newer with juggling on your part.

How do I limit the amount of space Time Machine uses?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.