Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer wont boot up!

So i was messing around trying to figure out how to change the admin password without knowing the password because my mom factory restored the computer. The site i ended up told me to hold Command+S right as the computer was turning on and type this in-

mount -uw /

rm/var/db/.AppleSetupDone

shutdown -h now

So i did and no whenever i turn on the computer it starts the usual load up screen then it says checking disks and the little loading bar progresses a little bit after its done that. Then it quickly says Waiting for Network Installation but quickly goes away and then this screen shows up and nothing happens :/ please help me by telling me what i did wrong and how to fix this

User uploaded file!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.3.x)

Posted on Jun 15, 2011 5:23 PM

3 replies

Jun 15, 2011 8:21 PM in response to sherkanator

Let's try an NVRAM reset. Probably the skip-netboot? environment variable is set to something undesirable. You should boot holding down the cmd-option-O-F key combination until you get the white open firmware terminal screen.

You might check the environment variables with the following command:

printenv <enter>

and see what you get, if you are curious. It's not really necessary, though.

Then, to clear things up, do the following:

reset-nvram <enter>

set-defaults <enter>

reset-all <enter>

The last command will cause the machine to reboot and you should get the "welcome" setup assistant like it's a new installation.

Computer wont boot up!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.